Brick vs. Wood homes?

katycloud
katycloud Posts: 1 Newbie
My partner and I are just about to purchase our very first home. We have began looking at houses, and the area we are wanting to buy in is a very leafy, 'bushy' kind of area (in the Dandenong Ranges if you're at all familiar with Australia!).

We were originally set on buying a brick home, however there are lots of weatherboard and cedar wood houses in the area for sale which are also considerably cheaper. I am a bit put off by weatherboard/wood houses as I understand that they have poor insulation and are also a lot of maintenance as they need painting often. I am also worried about termite infestation (but that can occur in brick homes as well!)

What are your opinions on brick vs. wood houses in the long run? If we limit ourselves to just brick, we are cutting back so many options as there are a plethora of weatherboard houses on the market in the area! The weatherboard/cedar wood houses are also considerably cheaper. Is there anything we should know about weatherboard houses? Pros cons? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated!

(Oops just realised I should've posted this in the House Buying forum, moderators feel free to move it... sorry!)

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why do you need insulation? In Jo'burg we just froze for July and August.

Personally I think you should be asking on an Australian forum for the pros and cons but if it is your first home how long will you live there so does it really matter? What are the price differences?
  • tightrs
    tightrs Posts: 517
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    based on the 3 little pigs story i would go with brick

(sorry couldn't resist it)
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Katy - not sure if you're aware but this is a UK-based site so 99% of the posters are in the UK (or ex-pats living oversees). You're unlikely to find anyone who is expert in Australian home construction I'm afraid...
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    and a timber domestic house is virtually unknown in the uk.
    Get some gorm.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm from there originally....Ferntree Gully to be exact...You will find a brick and block built house in that area extremely rare. Most houses are built with wood with a brick outer layer. The wood is what holds the house up. The bricks do nothing. Don't worry about termites the wood is treated but do get a pest inspection if the house is more than 10 years old.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ormus wrote: »

Where have you been living ormus ? the outer Hebrides ?
    There are loads of companies now that do timber frame buildings, which are either rendered - brick skinned or timber clad.

Considerably cheaper than brick, quicker to build, more eco friendly amongst the pro's.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    i was waiting for this one,
    typical modern timber framed in the uk is not the same as an oz (or usa) wooden house.
    Get some gorm.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i was waiting for this one,
    typical modern timber framed in the uk is not the same as an oz (or usa) wooden house.

In what way ?
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite

Aren't park homes timber? (The kind that look like mobile homes, on a brick base.)
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would certainly ask on an Australian forum rather than here because the relative merits of different types of house construction are to a great extent based on what is expected in the country the house is in, rather than being absolute.

For example, in the UK most people (and that goes for mortgage providers, insurers etc) expect a house to be built out of brick, stone or concrete block and tend to be at least a little suspicious of anything else. What is common and perfectly normal in Australia may be viewed with suspicion here. Conversely, what is recommended in the UK will probably not be what people are looking for in Australia.

As for warmth or heating, I expect that it is probably similar to South Africa in that people don't really bother with insulation or heating systems and simply accept that in deepest July it will be a bit chilly sometimes, put on a jumper etc and maybe a small electric or bottled gas fire.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport