microsoft win 10 updates

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Depends how far you go with it.. Cortana gone, updates blocked. Tracking all blocked.
    Nope, sorry, but that still doesn't make it anything but W10 still.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 2:38PM
    Depends how far you go with it.. Cortana gone, updates blocked. Tracking all blocked.
    How do you completely eradicate Cortana?- sorted, renamed the directory it lives in, after a quick "end task". I block the tracking with Spybot Anti-Beacon.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Windows 10 is great (privacy issues aside - but that can easily be worked around)

I really dont understand all the haters
  • AndyPix wrote: »
    Windows 10 is great (privacy issues aside - but that can easily be worked around)

I really dont understand all the haters
    I think it's a few reasons:

1. Folk don't like change, it doesn't seem long since XP and many users have computers which came with XP that are still quite serviceable. There was no free upgrade to Win 10 from XP.

2. The free upgrade from Windows 7/8 to 10 didn't always go without a hitch, Microsoft may not have seen a problem, but some laptops in particular had issues with their hardware not being tested for use with Win 10 and not working correctly (Acer Win 7 laptop - issues with backlight control under Windows 10 for example). A case of users jumping the gun, rather than a Microsoft or hardware manufacturer being at fault.

3. The "mobile phone" user interface, easily made to look and feel like Windows 7 with a free utility like Classic Shell.

4. The privacy issues, easily fixed with Spybot Anti-Beacon. And with a little fiddling around, Cortana can be disabled completely.

5. In the early days, some programs and hardware weren't compatible with Windows 10, hardly a Microsoft issue, but caused bad feeling among quite a few users.

On the (big) plus side, Windows 10 is significantly more secure than XP and more secure than Windows 7. If you want a new Windows computer, it's a one horse race anyway.

This is typed on an Asus Win 10 laptop, works fine with no issues.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Issue 1 and 2 im with you on, but as for issue 3 - I think the new UI is fine .
    Nothing mobile phoney about it atall - are you thinking of windows 8 ?? Now that was garbage

W10 IMHO is the best of W7, with a nice slick interface and a light footprint making it nice and snappy
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think it's a few reasons:

]

Up to a point but a significant gripe was the way the changeover was implemented, often forced on users at inconvenient times of day (that actually happened to me). Microsoft fans will defend the company for that but the fact that it has changed its policy significantly says to me that they know they were wrong.

I'm one of the users whose hardware malfunction wasn't solved, incidentally. An internal SD card reader in my Dell hasn't worked since (no fix available, I'm told) and a DVD writer that also doesn't function and which Dell has given up on. I don't think Microsoft has much excuse with a major brand and customer like Dell. It could and should have made sure it didn't break some relatively new products.

That said, 10 works OK with Classic Shell running but I don't find it does anything significantly better than the previous OS (W7) did.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    3. ...., easily made to look and feel like Windows 7 with a free utility like Classic Shell.

4. And with a little fiddling around, Cortana can be disabled completely.

As a user of Classic Shell, can I ask what exactly is Cortana?
  • J_B wrote: »

It's the personal assistant built into Windows that monitors your typing. Offering assistance while spying on your every word.

The fix that stops it completely is to use Task Manager firstly to navigate to its folder, then attempt to rename the folder (add ".bak" to the folder name), it won't let you while Cortana is running. You then need to stop Cortana in Task Manager and quickly implement the folder name change before it auto starts again.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    J_B wrote: »
    It's the personal assistant built into Windows that monitors your typing. Offering assistance while spying on your every word.

Hmm. How come I've never noticed it? :cool:
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    J_B wrote: »
    Hmm. How come I've never noticed it? :cool:

Had you noticed it and tried it (knowing exactly what you were missing or hating) then that would be :cool:.
    However never noticing it at all is just ...
    4625.gif
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business