The Happiness Fund.

Comments

• Glad to hear you had a lovely holiday savingswannabe! Boo to VirginMedia though, hope Sky get you swapped over promptly!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 August 2016 at 8:03PM
    Howdy doody BB, how's the house going?

I have been decluttering my friends house and chilling I go back to work next week. I also moved the sofas round in my downstairs lounge and it looks so spacious. Yay to change.

I rang British Gas too and they have put me on an excess option for homecare 400 so my monthly premium has dropped significantly. Yay. Today I saved about £50 by phoning around. Thank goodness for this site. Martin Lewis and his team have saved me a fortune yet again.

Yikes. I am broke. Roll on payday. lol. No more clothes. None at all I promise till after xmas.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2016 at 3:23PM
    Blimey I have had 'Mousegate' last night when I heard a noise and I put the light on and stayed awake all night. I have had the outside doors open till late due to hot weather and i think i have attracted a field mouse.

Everyone has offered good advice. The house is blooming spotless i have no idea what it is eating. I have bought some traps and put Milky Way inside to tempt it. I hope it works but the lack of evidence (no marks, droppings, no more noise) suggests it may not be in the room but in the outside wall cavity I can't do anything about that it seems. I am sleeping in spare room tonight.

On the positive front, it means I cannot have bi-folding doors opening out to the garden as more of the critters will move in. This confirms that I just need a cheap basic kitchen. The weather has turned and it is much chillier today and also raining pretty heavily. Good for the garden I am sure.
  • Oh no SW you poor thing! :eek: I'm exactly the same with mice, if I hear one running around it really freaks me out. Only thing I can recommend is putting in earplugs, if you do it right then it muffles everything and should ensure you can sleep through the noise of it running around.
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2016 at 6:38PM
    Steve and Andy are on phone and laughed at this. It turns out that I have wasted £12 on mousetraps and I didn't need them. My niece bought them this morning and didn't keep the receipt. Still they will be useful for the future in case the mousey or his family pop by.

I have £40 cash till payday. yikes

I am just creating an ad for my Diane von Furstenburg jacket cheap. let's see if anyone bites. Just realised that I have some Hunter boots still in box maybe I can sell them. I bought them years ago and only wore them twice. The weather here is too nice and doesn't allow for the opportunity to wear them.
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    edited 21 August 2016 at 4:28PM
    No sign of mouse at all. I think my hysterics scared it away. lol.

I decluttered my friend's house yesterday she is happy. It has made me so content about my place whilst it is not amazing it is comfy and I have space that I can enjoy.

I bought some whoopsies yesterday and will be eating those. I will try to keep my spending down as much as possible till payday when I have a massive credit card bill to pay. I can't believe I lost a stone, I fitted (just) into smaller jeans yesterday and although I am only half way there feel so much better but will be satisfied when I have gone down to 50kg.

We also went to a place that sells upholstery fabric and saw a nice fabric that will be good for my faux leather covered chairs where the seats are disintegrating due to old age. It is part of an oak set that I love and it would be great to update it. I hope I can buy it after payday.

Spend yesterday was £13.00 on credit card on food. £11 on travel and snack. I know if I was totally broke I should have taken sandwiches. lol.
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    edited 22 August 2016 at 8:33PM
    I went to work and came back v tired. A few more bits to do and I will do those tomorrow. I've been looking at home insurance. C@nfused offered good quotes with low excesses and I have seen a good provider at a good price.

I did see a good jogging cd on fleabay but Steve saw it and said he would lend me his for free. He is a complete star. Money saved 'kerching'!!!!!

New non smart targets till xmas:

Right I am not buying ANY more clothes this year. For sure.
    I will take sandwiches & drink to work everyday
    Keep snacks at work for hypos
    Maximum spend at work will be £10 a week.
    To only spend £120 a month.
    I will save for holidays and new specs in my xmas fund

Jobs from summer hols
    One scheme of work to write - tomorrow?
    Back garden fence to paint - next bank holiday weekend?
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    edited 23 August 2016 at 7:15PM
    Renewed my insurance £122 and completed work stuff.

Weather gorgeous. Too hot to work.
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    edited 24 August 2016 at 7:29PM
    I've been thinking about this holiday. It has been wonderful in so many ways. The weather has been glorious and I have been to the seaside in Swanage, Chichester and Southsea and the Marina in Lymington. I have seen quite a few friends (but not all as there are too many). I have spent so much money but a fair bit of that was when my parents and their friend visited and I had to entertain him as it is expected plus we did enjoy ourselves. I have done lots of sorting. My house is very clean and tidy.

But I feel so poor. I have two big credit card pay off months coming up. I know I am saving but I cannot seem to save any more. I am not going to buy anything frivolous till after Christmas and will avoid ebay. I would like to buy covers for my chairs before Christmas I can do that at the end of September, I would also like to pay to get an aerial fitted for Free view or Free sat after payday. But that is it. I have realised that I have spent money on some expensive beauty products and maybe that is why my credit card bill is higher than usual. Maybe I should go back to cheap stuff after it finishes? For the rest of the year I don't really need anything for the house so I hope my saving situation improves.

I hope this will restore my bank balance and savings. I wish I could win the lottery but I hardly ever buy a scratchcard. I am desperate enough.

Right this weekend I am going to try set the balls in motion for a new account so I can get a reward. It might take a couple of weeks but I am going to do it. I only wish I had done it in the holiday but the bonus will be worth it.
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    edited 27 August 2016 at 2:14PM
    I have set up a new account and after payday I shall sort out direct debits into it for next month and then sort out a transfer if the bank offers are still on.

I was expecting heavy rain and there still isn't a sign of it. I walked to the local supermarket and did a healthy food shop on my credit card. It has hurt my legs so I should have burned a few calories. lol.

I have put up an item to sell on fleabay. A pair of shoes that are as new. Please let someone buy them.

Here's to a weekend spending little and chilling. Yay. 3 days off from work. Hurrah. All being well I shall paint the back fence on Monday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure