Saga Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks KeithP.
    ---
    100% debt-free!
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's certainly possible to do all of that on an ebike particularly as it's a relatively short distance so it's not great for a car in terms of wear and tear whereas it's fine for a bike with no need to warm up or similar. While there is wear and tear on a bike, the costs are far cheaper than that on a car.

It's a big upfront cost for a decent ebike though and it need some commitment particularly in the British weather. You need good clothing and protection although even then it can be unpleasant when it's various combinations of cold, wet and windy. Rather than immediately replace a car it's a lot easier to ease yourself in by gradually building up the amount the bike is used.

It's also useful to be able to do basic repairs at the road side as it is possible to puncture a tyre or break a chain although on a short distance like that, it should be a rare occurrence.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you get one, make sure its got a Lithium battery rather than the old Lead acid type.All electric bikes weigh a ton, and they are an absolute pain to pedal if they go flat on a journey..Any hills and you will be pushing the thing and cursing.
    In my view you should forget it and just get the lightest bike you can afford.You will have all the gears you need to get up all hills anyway..
    Electric bikes are very expensive and if you buy a used one factor in the price of a new battery..Lithium batteries are also very expensive..Just google the price of a new one .They do not last forever.
    Do not buy an electric bike..you have given up on life if you sit back and twist a throttle.You may as well drive the car.
    Everyone struggles a bit on the uphill bits, you have at least a dozen gears. If you are healthy do not succumb to the easy way. I m 67 and just did a 20 miler fairly fast yesterday evening and felt great doing it.
    I admit my bike is a dream to ride, all carbon fibre frame weighing only 8kg with narrow tyres but was nt expensive.Planet X special

Can't remember the last time I seen so much sense come from one individual.

I am of the mindset that if your gonna buy a push bike, then it should be all human powered and mechanical. None of that electrical bollx, not even the new fangled electric gearing. Defeats the purpose of cycling IMO. Get a nice bicycle. I have a 15 mile commute and I ride a standard bike that weighs quite a lot with all my gear attached.

I do see the appeal in an E bike tho. I don't cycle everyday, but an E bike should make the tedious task of commuting somewhat easier. They may also open up cycling to those with fitness issues. Depends on how good the batteries are and how heavy the the bikes are. I think they would need to be ridable in case of power failure. As far as I know, the batteries don't last all that long between charges, something like 30 or 40 miles. Hopefully longer these days.

However standard bikes are generally preferable for the reasons mentioned.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    It's certainly possible to do all of that on an ebike particularly as it's a relatively short distance so it's not great for a car in terms of wear and tear whereas it's fine for a bike with no need to warm up or similar. While there is wear and tear on a bike, the costs are far cheaper than that on a car.

It's a big upfront cost for a decent ebike though and it need some commitment particularly in the British weather. You need good clothing and protection although even then it can be unpleasant when it's various combinations of cold, wet and windy. Rather than immediately replace a car it's a lot easier to ease yourself in by gradually building up the amount the bike is used.

It's also useful to be able to do basic repairs at the road side as it is possible to puncture a tyre or break a chain although on a short distance like that, it should be a rare occurrence.

Warm, wet and windy would be even worse. They clothing you use to keep you dry, also tend to trap heat. Useful when it's cold but not so useful if you're already hot. You get very sweaty in waterproofs.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I seen so much sense come from one individual.

I am of the mindset that if your gonna buy a push bike, then it should be all human powered and mechanical. None of that electrical bollx, not even the new fangled electric gearing. Defeats the purpose of cycling IMO. Get a nice bicycle. I have a 15 mile commute and I ride a standard bike that weighs quite a lot with all my gear attached.

I do see the appeal in an E bike tho. I don't cycle everyday, but an E bike should make the tedious task of commuting somewhat easier. They may also open up cycling to those with fitness issues. Depends on how good the batteries are and how heavy the the bikes are. I think they would need to be ridable in case of power failure. As far as I know, the batteries don't last all that long between charges, something like 30 or 40 miles. Hopefully longer these days.

However standard bikes are generally preferable for the reasons mentioned.

Seem to be contradicting yourself there.

Also what is the purpose of cycling exactly?

For me, it's commuting as quickly (certainly quicker than a car) and as cheaply (>2p a charge) as possible and not being too knackered to do a full days physical work.

For my brother, it is purely recreational and about personal challenge, getting up that mountain quicker than last time, seeing how close he can get to the pro's times on the Tour de France stages etc.

At the end of the day a cycle is a multi-faceted tool that people will use in the way that suits them and their needs. The disdain sometimes aimed at the eBike user is just pure snobbery.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Warm, wet and windy would be even worse. They clothing you use to keep you dry, also tend to trap heat. Useful when it's cold but not so useful if you're already hot. You get very sweaty in waterproofs.

That's completely missing the point of the post although I'd prefer warm, wet and windy, it's not a problem getting wet if you're not also getting cold.
  • TyreLever wrote: »
    Defeats the purpose of cycling IMO. .

And what is the purpose of cycling in your opinion?

The point is other people will have different opinions, different personal situations. Personally I just have a bike for a little bit of extra exercise, transport for shorter journeys into town for lightweight shopping and the like. Others will have different needs and wants.

I'm always suspicious of any dogmatic opinion when it comes to cycling (or anything else for that matter..).
  • Seem to be contradicting yourself there.

Also what is the purpose of cycling exactly?

For me, it's commuting as quickly (certainly quicker than a car) and as cheaply (>2p a charge) as possible and not being too knackered to do a full days physical work.

For my brother, it is purely recreational and about personal challenge, getting up that mountain quicker than last time, seeing how close he can get to the pro's times on the Tour de France stages etc.

At the end of the day a cycle is a multi-faceted tool that people will use in the way that suits them and their needs. The disdain sometimes aimed at the eBike user is just pure snobbery.

Nothing wrong with E bikes. I was trying to say that for me personally, its all about YOU and moving under your own power. For people with medical issues, or long commutes then I can see how electric assist would help if the range is good enough.

Their biggest downside is the 15mph thing. It would be much better if the power assist didnt cut out at all. If people could easily ride 30 or so mph it might encourage more cycling use over car use. I think people would relish the ability to do that without the faff of licensing and insurance.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its a safety issue. The faster you travel the heavier you are. At much over 15.5 proper regulation of brakes and tyre systems would need to be introduced, at which point its a moped. As it happens that is pretty much what the law says now.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Xbigman wrote: »
    Its a safety issue. The faster you travel the heavier you are.

Your mass doesn't change when you travel faster.

Your momentum (mass times velocity) does, however. And momentum over time exerts a force (since force is mass times acceleration, and acceleration is velocity over time).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure