Spike in gas usage??

Having been stung for a rather large final bill from a previous provider I have been keeping a close eye on our usage. After numerous meter readings from June to date I can see that on average we use 1.5 units of gas a day until September, where average daily usage has shot up to 8.4 units a day. Why could this be?

We are yet to turn our heating on and I wouldn't say hot water usage has increased particularly.

Any advice on how to track this more effectively and identify the reason for such a spike?

TIA

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,095 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you post your readings please
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,095 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Are you getting this information about a spike from the online data ?

I seem to recall a recent similar post. The conclusion was that we had too much information and this "spike" should be ignored.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Assuming you have a Metric meter, you have been using appx 16.8KWh a day since June, but now that has shot up to appx 94KWh even though the heating is not yet on.

Two possibilities come to mind
    1) You have a serious Gas leak somewhere on the output pipework from the meter
    2) You have a battery powered Digital Gas Meter that has gone rogue.

Having eliminated (1), check (2) by turning off all gas appliances then check the meter for movement every 2 hours for 1/2 a day
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    NadineR wrote: »
    ..... I have been keeping a close eye on our usage. After numerous meter readings from June to date I can see
    Reading what?

Smart meter? Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's weird but we seem to have used way, way more gas this last month than in the last three years in September or in previous months this year. The boiler is 18 months old and we have recently installed new double glazing throughout so the only conclusion I have come to so far is either:

a) The boiler has gone wrong or

b) OH continuously ignores my behests not to turn the stat up so high.

I am going with option b, having consulted our wonderful gas engineer dude but will continue to monitor the situation/OH.

Best of luck with sorting it out, NadineR.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure