IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

How long to set aside a CCJ

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:37AM
    How do you feel about the rogue trader solicitors who operate
    within your industry

According to the SRA the ones we come into contact with are all squeaky clean, but we know differently, there are a lot of bent solicitors around.

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-check/recent-decisions/recent-decisions.page,
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • There are a lot of dodgy people in all walks of life. Traders like Madoff who ran Ponzi schemes, doctors like Peterson the breast surgeon, policemen manipulating the vulnerable etc etc. No one should condone any of that.

The correct questions are:

1. Are the likes of Gladstones acting illegally?
    2. If no, are they acting unfairly?
    3. If yes/possibly, does the law need to be changed.

I don't begrudge anyone doing paid work, albeit it's not a discipline I'd like a to practice or encourage others to.

Personally, I really dislike poorly drafted automated stuff that's never been properly supervised by trained staff. It clogs up an overstretched court system and will often fail. Since 90% of litigation settles outside a court room, much of it will never be tested.

Law is not a tin of beans. There is no Tesco value version. Once you hit the irreducible minimum, the work can no longer be done by a lawyer. Quality can (but does not always) suffer. The automated nonsense I see is poor.

There is no margin in this, it relies on bulk processing by unqualified staff. Most commentators on the forum will likely have higher academic qualifications in their chosen fields and (by simple fact of lavishing more time on their defence than a claimant ever will on a set of particulars) be better informed and better placed to defend such claims.

Since nearly all particulars of claim are unsupported and say the same thing it is likely that claims are issued with no investigation or case papers at all and on the basis of a diary prompt. The claimant then relies on the PPC having cobbled together some photos by the time the statements are due. No wonder judges get hacked off. To make matters worse the advocates instructed are then often unqualified too....

But other than that, no issues. Why do you ask?
  • @beamerguy I should also clarify that you could conceivably in the right case recover a disbursement for a cheap junior counsel, but not the 20k that you'd probably have to pay a silk as a trial brief fee for a full day in a remote county court. Like I say, disproportionate....
  • I was just happy that I didn't pay CEL a penny and they had to pay me £255. I know I'm even from the whole situation - I didn't get any money for my time, but at least it cost CEL to take me to court. And they paid promptly.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    There are a lot of dodgy people in all walks of life.

But few in the Diplomatic Service, (well ours anyway), I am pleased to say.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • There are a lot of dodgy people in ALL walks of life.

@TheDeep there are no exceptions - that's human nature and statistical inevitability. As to whether you are correct as a % of the whole, you may be, but I suspect neither of us have reliable data.

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/839207.dodgy_diplomat_jailed_for_three_years/
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The_Deep wrote: »
    There are a lot of dodgy people in all walks of life.

But few in the Diplomatic Service, (well ours anyway), I am pleased to say.

What about when they retire and lose the cronyism that protected them whilst in service??

Eg:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne/news/ex-diplomat-jailed-for-child-sex-a14980/
  • Hi we have just paid the £255 to the court to start the process and I was hoping to find the link mentioned to read the defence statements could you possibly send me the link as I can’t find it? Many thanks
  • Shaynes - why have you as your FIRST POST posted on someone elses thread?

Start your own
    Give some more details

NEWBIES thread, post number 2. Its on the first page of this forum, about the 4th one down from the top, and post 2 is..well, post 2.

You MUST (as Im guessing you havea CCJ already) read up on the set asidew process. You dont jsut file a defence, you must also show the court why the judgement should be set aside.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 April 2018 at 11:35PM
    Shaynes wrote: »
    Hi we have just paid the £255 to the court to start the process and I was hoping to find the link mentioned to read the defence statements could you possibly send me the link as I can!!!8217;t find it? Many thanks

You don't need a link to a sticky thread at the top of the forum thread list. But my signature does tell you how to get there yourself, from any thread.

Two clicks away.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback