Care, savings, homeowners, couple

My father, who has mild Alzheimer's, has recently had a stroke and has been in a rehab hospital for 4 weeks.

He, and my mother, live in their own home and have approx. £30,000 in savings.

He is going to need care when he comes out which he will have to pay for.

As they are a couple is all the savings counted or just half of it.

As the property is mortgage free, will they have to sell it to pay for care.

What happens if he is bad enough he has to go in to residential care, if they have to sell the house to pay for this where does my mother live.

As you can tell by the questions I have no idea how these things work, could someone point me to the best place to research.

Comments

• HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2017 at 7:32PM
    The house that your parents live in will be disregarded (because your mother is living there) and, unless they can show otherwise, money in joint accounts will be counted as belonging 50:50 between your parents.

If there are less than £23,000 savings, the Local Authority will pay, at least in part, for any residential care (and, I believe, for any home care).

The Alzheimer's Society website has lots of useful info about this, and about other subjects relating to dementia/people with dementia.

Sorry - I have assumed that your parents are both pensioners! If not, the house might not be disregarded . . .
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    All savings in his name and half of any in joint names will be taken into account.

If he goes into care the house would not be sold and if she is a pensioner would be disregarded.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks both

They are both old fashioned and although it would probably be classed as joint money for most people, I suspect (don't know for sure) that the account would just be in my fathers name.

Would they see it as all being his even though it obviously isn't?
  • UKSBD wrote: »
    Thanks both

They are both old fashioned and although it would probably be classed as joint money for most people, I suspect (don't know for sure) that the account would just be in my fathers name.

If it is indeed in his sole name then yes, I would say so
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    UKSBD wrote: »
    Thanks both

Sadly yes it would be seen as his.

If he did go into care she would be able to get help in her own right
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • UKSBD wrote: »
    My father, who has mild Alzheimer's, has recently had a stroke and has been in a rehab hospital for 4 weeks.

He, and my mother, live in their own home and have approx. £30,000 in savings.

He is going to need care when he comes out which he will have to pay for.

As they are a couple is all the savings counted or just half of it.

As the property is mortgage free, will they have to sell it to pay for care.

What happens if he is bad enough he has to go in to residential care, if they have to sell the house to pay for this where does my mother live.

As you can tell by the questions I have no idea how these things work, could someone point me to the best place to research.

First of all, I'm so sorry you find yourself in this position, and it's so confusing when you have no idea how these things work.

As others have said, don't worry about the house. My late husband had Alzheimer's, and when he finally went into a Care Home, we had a financial assessment carried out by the Local Authority, as to what we needed to pay.

At that time (3 years ago), because I had looked after him for many years, and he then deteriorated and our Local Authority said he needed to go into a Care Home, he paid his State Retirement Pension, and half of his net Private Pension, less about £25 for "pocket money". He had less than £23.500 in his name.

If I had been left with insufficient income, I could have claimed Pension Credit. There were also other things that can be deducted from the total you have to pay, and if the £30,000 you mention are solely in your Dad's name, then once the figure drops below £23,500 then you get Local Authority help.

I hope this helps and I wish you and your family well.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • UKSBD
    Thanks again,

I don't really know the circumstances yet, will have to have a chat with mother soon to ensure she knows what to do (she is daunted by all the forms).

She mentioned today that they will have to pay for homecare as they are £6k over the threshold which is why I assume they (or he) has £30k

I guess If the money is just his, I need to make her aware how important that everything is paid from his savings rather than her paying with her money.

Does it make any difference if the house is just in his name?
    They have been married 55 years but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just in his.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    All savings in his name and half of any in joint names will be taken into account.

If he goes into care the house would not be sold and if she is a pensioner would be disregarded.

If a spouse, partner or civil partner will still live in the house (plus some other categories of people), the age of the person going into care is irrelevant.
  • UKSBD
    Alice_Holt wrote: »

Thanks

neither of them are concerned about having to pay for the care, my worry was that all their money would be spent on my fathers care and my mother could end up penniless and in a similar position in a few years.

From what I have read since, it doesn't work like that though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure