PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Drove DMIL and DFIL to the new aldee so they could see where it was and what bus they would need to get there themselves. Neither of them drive but they get all over the place on the bus.

I spent £4 odd on apples, yogurt for the meal plan, freezer bags, cream crackers and microwave rice for DH lunches. I also bought a DVD for DS stocking and 2 x shoe organisers I have been looking all over for at the right price.

Only the £4 odd gets added to the total so my total stands at £141.70/£240. We are well stocked so it is do-able, we just need to keep out of the shops!
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Solstice_3
    Solstice_3 Posts: 444 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2014 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Afternoon all :) I've been busy recently - I jointed a chicken for the first time instead of buying the parts individually was quite proud of myself and plan to do it more often as I think it's cheaper - plus I get a carcass for making stock. Today I made bread instead of DH picking up the one I don't like on his way home from work so NSD today ^_^

I swear I went to the shop on 6th October but receipt is not in my purse so will have a look later. EDIT Found it in my bag :)

Spends

6th - £11.96 (Also picked up some sweets/chocs for Christmas presents, impulse buy but written on my present list so I won't forget).
    7th - £5.20 plus £3.95 on fish and chips for me and kids.
    8th - NSD

Have to buy stuff again tomorrow, butter for my leftover chicken and mushroom pie (I'm using filo pastry as a topping and then making strudel out of the rest if any is leftover), milk, marmite and lemon curd - out of toast toppers and want to keep the jam for Christmas presents. I'm planning on making more jam for us maybe at the weekend.

Oh and I baked cookies today, still practicing my baking ;)
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £47.96 at L1dl but includes £10 beer that has been paid by roadkill, Reverbes and spare change saved over the years by DS, so I have deducted it from the bill, will use it for market shopping where I cannot use the cashback 123 card.

Glad that L1dl are now accepting credit cards, hope it is included in the cashback list of suppliers.

Rounded up figure total after deducting booze, £38. Sig updated.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    £200 budget and so far all NSD for oct. tomorrow will need milk, living on fridge and freezer stuff.
    £0 so far
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had a good shopping trip yesterday (Aldi and M's) with quite a few nice things with yellow stickers. Freezers are stocked up and fridge is full.
    NSD today and probably tomorrow, only Friday will include a trip to B & M in the big town.
    Will update my signature with spend asap.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NSD yesterday.

Made 4kg salami for a friend and it tasted great. Need to get more casings and will make another batch next week with the same flavours, loaded it with cracked pepper so it had a nice bite to it.

Weather better today, so plan to spend some time in the garden trying to make inroads into the weed mountain.

DS, DIL and DGKids are due to call in today on their way home from a ski trip. Season is ending at the end of the month so they are trying to cram in as many days as possible.

OH off to work today (he now only works one day a week), so will be a quiet day.
  • Angela84
    Angela84 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May I join and backdate? I have all my receipts since the 1st so I can be sure Ill be accurate at the end of October.
    If thats ok, can I put down for £200 for October.
    Half of what it was a year ago, but since separating from husband things are super tight and have been very good with meal planning, visting aldi, and I receive fruit vouchers at the moment so they are very useful.
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spent £8.54 at Lidl for fresh stuff to last me the week
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi everyone and a warm welcome to all new peoples :hello:

Billie-jo - Please can you tell me what you mean by making a big pan of 'lobby' :huh:

X-spender - as I said last month - way to go to save money is DON'T GO SHOPPING :rotfl:

craigywv wrote: »
    Good morning all, lynjk we dont have morrissons over here or aldi just the other ones we do have lidl though which is far better for fruit. I having a nsd as i going for a job interview in afternoon, i am working at present but this is a far better one fingers crossed, good luck all xxx
    Hiya - hope you did well with the interview :)
    Smoosh wrote: »
    £6.38 spent on 2x cheese & onion sandwiches (YS), egg mayonnaise sandwich (YS), cheese & tomato sandwich (YS), ploughman's sandwich (YS), falafel & houmous & Moroccan chutney wrap (YS), brunch sandwich (YS), sweet chilli chicken wrap (YS), pulled pork & cheese slaw sandwich (YS), American meat feast sandwich (YS).....

Just curious Smoosh - what do you do with all the sandwiches (which I assume are on SBD) :huh:
    I'm FINALLY doing my meal plan today. Started doing SW again so i need to plan some nice healthy meals. Need to loose the weight for health reasons so DH is justifying the cost. Have exactly 3 stone to loose, wish me luck!
    CP xx

Good luck CP and fingers crossed for you and let us know how you get on :D

Managed another NSD.

Had Shepherd's pie from freezer and baked beans for mains followed by plain yoghurt and fresh fruit.

Hope you all have a thrifty Thursday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Good morning, Im very late to the October GC party this month as have been on my hols, for this month I would like to once again have £200 for the month. With me starting late I hope to be able to save some of my budget to go towards bulk buys and any Xmassy looking bargains food wise that may present themselves, weither that or be able to carry some money over to next month. Fridge a bit sparse looking so going to Aldi sometime soon to do a shop and need general basics as well, must get writing my lists.
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts