PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freeholder's Building Insurance - rip off?

hillian
hillian Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 25 November 2013 at 7:34PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of paying a Freeholder annual buildings insurance?

I recently bought a one bed flat (leasehold) in London and the freeholder has just sent me an annual bill for the buildings insurance for my flat alone as £700. It seems extortionate.

It's a one bed flat 66 square metres, in a terraced victorian building that is split into three flats. All three flats pay the same amount of buildings insurance.

I've asked the freeholder for backup to this fee but he's not replying.

Appreciate any advice offered!!
Thanks!

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hillian wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have experience of paying a Freeholder annual buildings insurance?

I recently bought a one bed flat (leasehold) in London and the freeholder has just sent me an annual bill for the buildings insurance for my flat alone as £700. It seems extortionate.

It's a one bed flat 66 square metres, in a terraced victorian building that is split into three flats. All three flats pay the same amount of buildings insurance.

I've asked the freeholder for backup to this fee but he's not replying.

Appreciate any advice offered!!
    Thanks!

Flats have a lot of claims.

Premiums in London are high due to theft claims and subsidence claims in the clay areas.

There may have been a number of claims prior to you moving in which increased the premium.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    dacouch wrote: »
    Flats have a lot of claims.

Premiums in London are high due to theft claims and subsidence claims in the clay areas.

There may have been a number of claims prior to you moving in which increased the premium.
    All true. But the leaseholder is entitled to see the renewal quote for the building and how it has been apportioned between leases.

I suspect there is also a mechanism for making the freeholder obtain several quotes, but this might need joint leaseholder action, and/or setting up a management company run by the leaseholders. I'm not knowledgeable in this area, but see:

http://www.lease-advice.org/
  • best thing to do is get some quotes yourself then talk to http://www.lease-advice.org/
    We've had similar problems in one of my flats. High insurance, useless expensive management and every year we have extras to pay on top of the high service charge. It's a victorian conversion, 4 flats. From memory we paid about £1200 between us for insurance which was way over the top for the area. I've done a bit of research and could get it for quite a bit less.
    IMO best thing to do is talk to the other owners and go for RTM or if you can afford it the freehold. We've just started ours as we are fed up with the current lot ! good luck
  • You are getting shafted.

My buildings insurance is £175 a year.

4 flats in converted Victorian house in Greater London. Total £700.

Try Bridle Insurance, they halved what we were paying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure