Who are TMTI and why are they taking money from me?

Comments

• Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    joe14729 wrote: »
    sensibilis, are you connected to TMTI or Gadget Helpline as all your posts seem to be either defending them or singing their praises?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Oh yeah see what you mean ;)

Full of praise indeed !
    It's not just about the money
  • It's plainly stated at the point of sale that TMTI is included. You don't need a reference number; your postcode is quite sufficient.

do you work for them? If i wanted this service i would ask for it!!! It is underhand not to say would you like it at point of sale BUT instead you have it until you cancel, the hope is most people wont realise or through busy lives wont do it. I have just this minute claimed the money back via an indemnity claim through the dd guarantee and cancelled it through TMTI as well through advice here - i have recommended mobiles.co.uk before NEVER again!!
    Yay 1st wins in Cars Big Mack Race Track 40.99 Skinny Sams Tights - 4.95
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2010 at 9:16AM
    Wow - me work for any company remotely connected to cpw! Some people WILL be rolling on the floor uncontrolably! Must be about 3 years since anyone has accused me of that! Usually I am attacked for warning against this (and other cpw) dealers.

You had a clear choice - order the contract including the phone or walk away. If you didn't take the minimum of time and trouble to look closely at what you were ordering it's down to you. It's people like you who allow people like me to enjoy hundreds (literally) of free mobile contracts; I DO take great care to know what I'm doing BEFORE I order and I go into it MUCH deeper than that, which is child's play. Anyone getting tripped up by this shouldn't go near internet deals which appear too good to be true. If you're on a cashback deal you have worse things to worry about given your level of knowledge. I suggest you pay attention to that sooner rather than later (it may already be too late) if you are!

Actually, I am cpw's worst nightmare!
  • richto
    richto Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just found £7.99 charge from Carphone Warehouse and £20.16 charge from TMTI on my account. Nothing regarding either of these was in anyway shown in plain view when I ordered a mobile phone from mobiles.co.uk!

On checking the website, the amounts are listed in faint text on the item detail but ARE NOT shown on the total that you agree to pay - and there is no way of removing them from the basket. Also it says £3.99 a month for "Gadget Phone Support" but I was charged over £20.

Very easy to miss, and highly misleading - it is not shown at all on the pages where you input your payment information.

I have received no documents or anything else related to these charges - but the T&C does say:

"You have the right to cancel your policy without charge during a period of 14 days from the day on which you receive your policy documentation. No payment will be taken before this."

I have received no documentation - but they took payment anyway.

If this happens to you just cancel the Direct Debit and goto your bank and insist on your rights to a refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee. Make it an admin cost to these companies.

"With a variable direct debit the originator must provide enough advance notice of the amounts and dates of payment, or any changes to them, in sufficient time to allow the customer to raise any queries prior to payment. This is defined as at least ten working days from receiving the notification."

"Should any money be taken in error, then the customer's bank or building society must, on request, make an immediate refund to the customer's account."
  • Hi, I'm new to this site and thoroughly agree with all comments about reading your contract small print in detail.

Now I did do exactly that and yet have just received a bank statement with £20.94 DD to TMTI LTD FIRST PAYMENT.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but surely this reads as after the 30-day trial YOU have to contact them IF you want to take out cover (I didn't and as such didn't contact them). I also never received any emails, etc off them and no 14day warning that they were going to take money off me! (the amount they tok was also different to what the small print said it would cost)

Small Print from my phone contract:

VIP Gadget Helpline
    Your handset comes with a 30-day FREE trial of gadget helpline with TMTI (Talk Me Through It). This
    entitles you to support that will help you make the most of the features on your handset such as picture
    messaging, browsing the internet, setting up your email and connecting your Bluetooth devices. You will
    receive an e-mail within 7 days from purchase detailing your policy number.
    Gadget Helpline isn't just about phones! Pretty much any gadget you can think of, these guys will be able
    to help you out, such as programming your digital TV box or figuring out how to plan a route in your sat
    nav, Gadget Helpline will give you the help you need!
    To benefit from this service, simply call TMTI on 08444 772 995. After the 30-day free trial, this service
    will incur a charge of £19.74 every six months and TMTI will contact you directly regarding this within a
    few days of you receiving your handset.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2011 at 12:15AM
    I'd say it is (deliberately?) not very clear.
    To benefit from this service, simply call TMTI on 08444 772 995
    - this means call them if you need any help with the gadgets.

My similar recent letter from Dial-a-Phone is far more clear as it says in the next line: "If you don't wish to continue... after 30 day free trial you need to contact TMI...". Many similar letters in the past said the same.

Having said that, you can just call your bank, ask them for an immediate refund under the DD guarantee and cancel the DD. Then call TMI, tell them that you cancelled the DD and cancel the subscription.
  • There is of course one other method of recourse.

If you have got evidence that you have made reasonable attempts to cancel, such as copies of e-mails AND the delivery/read receipts and itemised phone bills with the companies number on, then you would be well within your rights to ask your bank to do a DD reversal under the Direct Debit Gaurentee as they are not providing you with your right to cancel the DD. I had all manner of problems with Vodafone and did just that..... strangely it got their attention and could offer all the time in the world to resolve my problems!
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
  • I also got done by these clowns. I called them up and cancelled over the phone. They just ask for postcode or reference number.
  • Like many others, I was incensed that payment for something I didn't want was going to be taken unless I cancelled it. The worst kind of selling. My immediate reaction was to cancel - and I have to say one e-mail apparently did the trick. I shall check to make sure no Direct Debit is set up though.

Now to try and cancel the 'free' insurance before that kicks in!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    sensibilis wrote: »
    The Gadget helpline is teamed up with [...] BBC RADIO

Bet you it isn't. The BBC never enters into commercial arrangements. BBC Worldwide, however, might, but again highly unlikely.

And remember... "As Seen On BBC" might just mean they were on Watchdog ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure