Budget moisturiser & night cream?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a budget brand skin moisturiser (with SP15) and nightcream? I've been using Boots for about 10 years now and, although they really suit my skin (which is why I haven't changed), they are expensive (around £24 each - usually on 3 for the price of 2, so it works out at around £16 each - still a lot). It needs to be perfume free as well (my skin really reacts to that).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To be honest spf15 is nothing, should look at least 20+

Marks and Spencer own brand is excellent.
  • SmarterNotHarder
    Options
    I like the Superdrug Vitamin E range - £2.99 a pot of 100ml, there's an SPF 15 day cream and a night cream in the range. Superdrug's own products are cruelty free too.

I end up trying [STRIKE]better[/STRIKE] more expensive ranges and keep coming back to this one.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Why do you want SP in your cream?
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of people swear by the one Aldi sells; I've not tried it myself and tend to find some moisturisers have mineral oil or petroleum oil which gives me spots so can't get away with trying so many things like this.

What I do is splash out on more expensive creams for daywear (making sure they have an SPF) because this is when I need to look presentable. But really use very basic stuff overnight (just making sure it's natural or as natural as I can get away with). I had worked out that if I can work on protecting my skin from damage as much as possible during the day and trying to boost the moisture/vitamins etc overnight with a dense but cheaper moisturiser.

Some people pare things right down and just use things like oils all day every day, this doesn't work for me (it just makes me look shiney and my skin feel itchy) but if it does work for you, it could be something to try?

It's also worth noting that as much as so many swear by Crème De Mer, apparently the bulk of the ingredients are petroleum oil and mineral oil (or otherwise known as very cheap ingredients). Of course there could be wide variations on the difference in quality of these ingredients but it always made me wonder at just how much we can get away with if we have fairly flexible skin.

Other than this; existing on samples and samples (Ebay is great for this but only buy from ebay if you are sure you can spot a fake version from a real version- my theory is people are less likely to sell fake samples than they are fake versions of the real deal). Also ask girly friends or if you have any similar aged family, ask them what they use as sometimes they have products that didn't work for them and products they want to try and arranging things like swaps and so on can mean you can try new things.
  • hawkeye123
    Options
    Just wanted to offer some advice as someone who has searched high and low for good moisturisers. It really depends on your skin type.

As a dry skin person, I am currently using the Eucerin range which includes Urea and it is amazingly nourishing and has lovely ingredients. It isn't the cheapest but a little of this goes a long way so the bottle lasts ages. You could also try Oilatum which is a cult classic of many.

However if you have more oily skin, I have read great things about the Simple Kind To Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser which also some great ingredients and is more affordable.

Finally, it is really best to use a standalone SPF product as I've heard spf in products like moisturisers or makeup isn't the same thing. Hope that's helpful!
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Superdrug suggested above is indeed great. £24 a pot is not really budget. You can buy Eucerine or Avene for that price i guess.
    ally.
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought a pot of Astral last week and I`m pleasantly surprised how good it is . Its been around since the 50`s
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been using My Trusty Sunflower Cream developed by the Dermatology Department at Salisbury Hospital. I discovered it by accident when I was browsing in my local pharmacy one day and thought I'd give it a go. It's lovely and easily absorbed. There are lots of reviews online.
    http://mytrustyskincare.co.uk/about-my-trusty-skincare
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pandora205 wrote: »
    I've been using My Trusty Sunflower Cream developed by the Dermatology Department at Salisbury Hospital. I discovered it by accident when I was browsing in my local pharmacy one day and thought I'd give it a go. It's lovely and easily absorbed. There are lots of reviews online.
    http://mytrustyskincare.co.uk/about-my-trusty-skincare

Thanks for the link I have just ordered some body butter.
  • RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    Options
    I used to use (and love) Clinque Superdefense with SPF, until I discovered Simple Day Cream SPF30. Comes in a pump so its great for travelling and last for ages. You can usually pick it up for less than a fiver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure