59 year old failed 2nd medical for ESA after passing first....

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chinna wrote: »
    Did not object to the interpreter. We put in the form that I would be taking my dad for the assesment and would be translating for him.

If you look at it from their point of view, they don't know how honest you are and whether you are translating exactly what your father is saying. I can understand why professional translators may be used more often in the future.

Otherwise, you and your father were badly treated and I wish you well with the appeal.

My son was once given 0 points at a medical but the report so full of factual mistakes that it was completely overturned. The doctor had reported that I was a unmarried mother and my son and his girlfriend lived with me and that none of us worked! In reality he and our other son lived with a married, and working, Mum and Dad and he was far too poorly to even think about having a girlfriend!
  • nad1611
    nad1611 Posts: 710 Forumite
    By the way, they had no right to try and refuse you entry with your father. Look at the link under Medical Examination-Your rights.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10023130

As regards the Interpreter I suppose it also depends on how well a certain descriptor translates into English.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    nad1611 wrote: »
    By the way, they had no right to try and refuse you entry with your father. Look at the link under Medical Examination-Your rights.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10023130

As regards the Interpreter I suppose it also depends on how well a certain descriptor translates into English.

That's not quite as I understand it.
    You have the right to have a friend there.
    You have the right to have an interpreter there.

This does not mean you have the right to have a friend or relative perform as an interpreter.

I haven't got the link to the regulations here - I recall this from reading them though.

To quote from the document you mention - 'You need to let the MEC know in advance if you want an interpreter or same-gender health care professional. They will try to find one for you'
  • nad1611
    nad1611 Posts: 710 Forumite
    rogerblack wrote: »
    That's not quite as I understand it.
    You have the right to have a friend there.
    You have the right to have an interpreter there.

This does not mean you have the right to have a friend or relative perform as an interpreter.

I haven't got the link to the regulations here - I recall this from reading them though.

To quote from the document you mention - 'You need to let the MEC know in advance if you want an interpreter or same-gender health care professional. They will try to find one for you'

I'm not saying that once the issue of the interpreter was sorted out they tried to say she couldn't go in at all as there wasn't enough room. Read the post.That's what I'm saying her father has the right to.

You have the right to:
    • have a friend, relative or support worker with you at the medical examination
  • chinna
    chinna Posts: 89 Forumite
    nad1611 wrote: »
    I'm not saying that once the issue of the interpreter was sorted out they tried to say she couldn't go in at all as there wasn't enough room. Read the post.That's what I'm saying her father has the right to.

You have the right to:

• have a friend, relative or support worker with you at the medical examination

Thats right. We did not request a interpreter , but we knew that was their decision, but they would not let me go with my dad saying "there was not enough space in the room".
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Its disgraceful the amount of money that the goverment waste on interperters for dozens of languages, the census is available in over 50 of these languages someone posted on DT.

It was mooted that you couldnt become a British citizen unless you could speak English and I think that its a very good idea, if you don't want to learn English how do you deal with everyday living in our country?

How do you catch a bus, pay a bill, bank, deal with medical issues, deal with education issues for your children (and hinder their education by English not being spoken at home) or even order a coffee without speaking English?

I'll get my tin hat out now.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but thats for the future sunnyone.
    my son's mother in law is indian. she has been in england for 30 years. but the area she lives in is predominately indian. she works as a home help for people within her community that speak the same language as her.
    she has taken english classes a few times, but when day to day, english isnt spoken, it's hard to become fluent.

when i talk to her, she understands me. but finds it hard to talk back to me in english.

what i'm trying to say is that not all immigrants don't talk english through choice.

if you lived in a british community in spain.........would you talk to other british people in spanish?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »

if you lived in a british community in spain.........would you talk to other british people in spanish?

I think that either situation is deplorable but you don't get multi lingual versions of forms or translators provided in the Continental countries I know. If you need an interpreter, you pay for one yourself.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but this situation isnt in continental europe.
    it's here
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    nannytone wrote: »
    but this situation isnt in continental europe.
    it's here

Much to our countries deprimant.

The person you posted about just doent want to speak English, thats her choice but she should pay for her own interperter if she needs one, disabled British people have to pay for their own 'terps or wait forever to recieve any services or any support at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure