what oil will my seat ibiza take?

Hi i hav a seat ibiza 1.2 sx petrol car 2004 reg

i would like do to a oil and filter change and air filter change but dont want to pay seat 130 quid to do this.

where would the cheapest place to buy oil and filter from?

yesterday i rang up 4 different seat dealers asking what oil to use in my car

one said to use 15w/40 another said 5w/30 and 2 of them said 10w/40
they all said to use simi synthetic oil, what does this mean?

anyway after this i rang seat customer helpline , they rang me back and said you can use

vw50100 or vw 50200 or vw 50400
this means nowt to me? so not really much help

so any advice here would be great
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.:D

Comments

• 10/40

get it in halfords along with the filter

The numbers relate to the temperature that the oil is designed to be used in
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Those VW numbers will be in small letters on the packagingof the oil if it meets those specifications.

Wallmart Supercentre Asda stores now sell a cheap 10w 40 semi synth, but I do not know if it meets those VW specs.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Costco sell big drums of 10w 40 for £20 enough for 5 changes.

Get the filter from a local motorfactors
  • loates123
    loates123 Posts: 798 Forumite
    took the manual into halfords today none of the guys in there could work out what oil i wanted as my manual seems to list loads of different oils
    in the end got this
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&mpe_id=13077&jspStoreDir=HalfordsConsumerDirect&intv_id=67565&partNumber=929596&evtype=CpgnClick&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&ddkey=ClickInfo
    will it be suitable?
  • anewman
    loates123 wrote: »
    took the manual into halfords today none of the guys in there could work out what oil i wanted as my manual seems to list loads of different oils
    in the end got this
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&mpe_id=13077&jspStoreDir=HalfordsConsumerDirect&intv_id=67565&partNumber=929596&evtype=CpgnClick&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&ddkey=ClickInfo
    will it be suitable?

That should do the job :) If you look on the bottle somewhere it should have VW and loads of numbers :)
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As mentioned, the 500.... numbers are a VW specification & you'll see them in much smaller print, on the side of the container, it comes in.

You'll be well advised to use a known brand, which meets these specification numbers. The main difference between semi & synthetic oils, is how long they'll be good for, mileage wise, between services, how thick/thin they are. The lower the numbers (called viscosity) on 10/40 15/50 & so on, will be the thinnest, get around the engine faster, on start up & in theory, remain in the engine for a lot longer, between services. They are more expensive, though.

Generally the more high performance engines & newer vehicles, NEED the synthetic & low viscocity oils.

Your's will be fine on a semi-synthetic, assuming it's not on a really low mileage & you change it every 5000miles (ish) with a new filter, too - genuine or a known brand is best.

If you have a look in Halfords, or chat with a car parts place, they'll have some oil companies guides, which will be easy to understand & point you to the correct oil for your car, once you tell them engine size, model & year, like you've done for us. Then you can buy the oil, filter & a new sump washer (for where the oil is drained out underneath the car) & do it yourself. You'll spend around £20ish.

If you want to spend a similar amount, do a forum search for oil changes & you'll find tyre dealers offer a lubrication service - change the oil & maybe check your tyres & exhaust ( & try & sell you new ones!!) using Mobil, or Duckhams oils & getting the dirty job done for you!!

But it's always a good idea to ask, just like you've done. It's onw of the easier jobs, but one the most important.

& do take note of the 5000mile changes, rather than loooooooooooong high mileage ones, it's worth it in the long term!

VB
  • loates123
    loates123 Posts: 798 Forumite
    on the back not much english but says
    approved mb 229:1 vw 505 00

quality level vw 500 00
  • anewman
    For oil changes I'd recommend a pair of ramps, Halfords sells a pair for about £30 I think. Just drive up them and you have much easier access.

If you don't fancy fishing the bolt out of hot oil (it's best to drain while it's hot) it's useful to have a spare sump bolt to hand as well as washer, as you guessed it, when I did my first oil change I saw the thick black stuff and dropped the bolt, doh.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    try seat /vw for the parts and oil, theyre not too exp and you get the proper parts and nice reciept you can put with the history
  • anewman
    Also just thought, GSF will sell loads of VW spec oils. They also do parts so should do oil filter too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure