Potterton Suprima 50 Lock Out problem

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not personally familiar with this boiler but if you can download the service manual, there should be a troubleshooting flowchart to follow.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • I have recently been having lockouts with our Suprima 80. 3-4 times a day the system locks out. In the interests of safety, does this need looking into ASAP? I'm very concerned out the "bang" mentioned in a few threads...
  • Just out of interest,these boilers were featured on this weeks Watchdog programme - see link below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/homes/homes_20070206.shtml
  • Potterton are running a special price on the suprima board at the moment, £180 inc a full years cover on your system(like bg 3star).
    This is a good price as the board itself retails at around £180.
  • newmommyjen
    newmommyjen Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    There is a problem with the old suprima curcuit boards, you can claim repairs
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=4467762#post4467762
    A smile and manners doesnt cost any thing
  • I viewed the BBC’s Watchdog website regarding the Potterton boiler lockout problems, but it only seems to concern retrospective claims and downloadable letter templates.

I have today (23/03/07) contacted Potterton to ask how to proceed with the resolution of the lockout problem. They have informed me that if a call is registered before the end of March 2007 they will send an engineer during April to replace parts (if the problem is the lockout) completely free of charge! Their telephone number is 08706 060780. There is a dedicated team working on this problem and you will need to quote your boiler reference number.
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have today (23/03/07) contacted Potterton to ask how to proceed with the resolution of the lockout problem. They have informed me that if a call is registered before the end of March 2007 they will send an engineer during April to replace parts (if the problem is the lockout) completely free of charge! Their telephone number is 08706 060780. There is a dedicated team working on this problem and you will need to quote your boiler reference number.

My Suprima 50 has been locking out for a while now. Read this forum and had a look on the Watchdog site - very interesting reading.

So, decided to ring the Potterton number ( 08706 060780 ) and got a very nice recorded message stating their opening hours, which included weekends 08:30 - 14:00. Now, I know today is Saturday and it is 10:05 - however, despite the recorded message, it still insisted that I call during opening hours ( which I have done !! ) and then promptly cut me off.

I shall try again Monday.
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • raden
    raden Posts: 10 Forumite
    There is absolutely no need to get a CORGI in to replace your PCB if you are competent.

What warranty do Compumerv offer ?
    12 months ?
  • barrymoney
    barrymoney Posts: 290 Forumite
    raden wrote: »
    What warranty do Compumerv offer ?
    12 months ?

Hi-
    Their ebay page says 6 months warranty. I got mine from them approx 5 months ago, and not had a single problem since.
    Of course, this was before the recent Watchdog developments. I'm not sure how willing Potterton are, in reality, to actually replace these PCBs. Also, my boiler came with the house, I didn't buy the thing originally.
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    barrymoney wrote: »
    Hi-
    ...I'm not sure how willing Potterton are, in reality, to actually replace these PCBs. Also, my boiler came with the house, I didn't buy the thing originally.

Quick update - managed to get through to Potterton on the number given above. After an initial statement that "The boilers are actually designed to cut out in certain situations", they advised that they are sending out engineers free of charge to assess what is at fault. They said that if the PCB is faulty, they will change it there and then for free. Additionally any faulty part would be replaced for free as well ( Subject to some conditions - boiler service history, condition, etc ). If the engineer suspects other factors ( which, being very sceptical, I think may be the case ) then they will advise and let me make a decision from there. However, in all cases, the man at the other end of the phone assured me that there is no cost whatsoever for the visit and advise.

He said the engineer should phone me between 8 and 10am to advise of the intended visiting time, but the visit could be anytime between 8am and 5pm

Will let you know the outcome of the visit tomorrow.

Barrymoney - just for the record, mine came with the house as well, and is 5 years old.

“That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure