Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• KTM_Gordo
    KTM_Gordo Posts: 106 Forumite
    max2002ad wrote: »
    I have an egg money credit card and i have had to claim three times from them. They were amazingly easy to deal with.

I also have an Egg Money card and I've been having a nightmare of a job making a Section 75 claim for goods, costing over £200, which were never supplied by a retailer.

The letter I've had from them states that because the retailer is still trading, it is not their place to provide a refund - stating "s75 does not entitle you to an automatic refund".

FOS here we come.

:mad:
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's worth pointing out that, in a case of breach of contract (which is what would normally be triggering a Section 75 claim), you are entitled to be restored to the same position you would have been in had the breach not occurred.

My ISP went bust a couple of years ago. I had paid up front for two years (it was *very* cheap!) with a Co-op Visa card, and there were 11 months left at the time of the failure.

I moved to another ISP, and I made a Section 75 claim against the Co-op for the startup cost and 11 months' service with the new ISP. This amounted to more than the *entire* two years I had paid for with the original ISP (I told you it was cheap!).

The Co-op hated it, and told me all kinds of lies to try to get rid of me, but I just kept writing quoting "Section 75" and in the end they paid up in full.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Does the section 75 apply to purchases made with American Express Cards?
  • tik33
    tik33 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Hi everyone, I'm about to place an order for over £30k for some windows and some other things. Now, the windows individually cost less than £30k and that price includes fitting. If I got them to issue me with two invoices - would that be sensible? Would that enable me to claim should something go wrong? Thanks
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I helped someone purchase a car,and paid on my credit card.,to give him section 75 protection.The company would have charged a percentage if i payed on credit card totally,(about £160 extra extra) so i paid £1 on credit card,the rest on debit card.
    Because the total exceeded £100 i obtained the protection (I ok'd it with the company first).
    heres the thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1115463&highlight=section+75

So my question is,in the event of something going wrong,is this correct?
    \edit-answer-yes
  • Do you have to inform your credit card company when you have purchased an item over £100 in order to claim if anything goes wrong?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pat0406 wrote: »
    Do you have to inform your credit card company when you have purchased an item over £100 in order to claim if anything goes wrong?

No, only if you are having a problem getting redress from the retailer, then you can involve the CC company, as they are equally and severally liable as the provider of the credit.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• I paid for a course of 7 acupuncture treatments, but only manged to have 3 of them before the shop shut without warning. M & S &More card are saying that I have to have proof of breach of contract. The girl from the cc company said that the company (Dr & Herbs) who have the paperwork are hardly likely to give me the paperwork and that my appointment card id=s no good as proof. She said that they are not liable without proof of breach and cannot be held responsible.
    I think that she is out of order and that they are responsible for the full course of treatment.
    It's hard to prove non-receipt of goods as the 'goods' were a treatment.
    Is section 75 any use to me? I have a cc statement showing my payment & the appointment card showing what i have had, The card states I am having 7 sessions and show the dates for only 3 sessions received.
    Any help is gratefully received
  • Hi,

The question says it all really - can I take advantage of the Visa Chargeback scheme if all I have is a (Smile) Electron card?

Thanks
  • Hi All,
    Bought concert tickets with a Visa Debit in November 2007, tickets never turned up in June when concert was. Asked bank but they said they couldn't do anything as there was no fraud involved! Can we still use the template letter for Visa Debit card a) because of time delay, and b) because money went to Hungary. Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure