PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,776 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I am a part time teacher and single (divorced...just got solicitors bill for court...ouch!) mum of DS and DD. I'm older than I feel! (and, I hope, look!):rotfl:
    I love reading Old Style and feel virtuous as I look at the cupboard full of jars of home made jam. Blackcurrant - yum. So I do all the home jobs. When ex left first thing I did was buy my own toolbox! 4 Years later got quite a selection of useful tools! I buy 'em as I need 'em.

What is SAHM please?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

Another one here who jumped straight in posting here there and everywhere without realising this thread was here. How rude! :p

I am Naomi, 34, married with a tearaway 3 year old son. I work 4 days a week and DH works f/t. My DS is looked after by his Nan whilst I work however I do pay her (still cheaper than a nursery). He is due to start full time nursery in September so my payment to MIL will drop by £120 a month :T

I had already decided to make small changes before I found this wonderful site. I had started meal planning and watching my shopping budget whilst trying to cook meals that wont affect DH's IBS. Now I cook everything from scratch have tasty meals and generally come in under budget :D

I need to stop smoking but have had so many false starts it's embarrassing.:o I have managed to cut down and I plan to stop tomorrow (payday for me).

Now I just need to convince DH that a mortgage break isn't the way to clear our debts! :mad:

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Little_Orange
    Options
    Well I'm quite a long time lurker but I thought I would finally get around to signing up as I think I need flylady to inspire me to do a sort out! I live with my husband (married earlier this year) in a 2 bedroom flat but it seems to be filled with enough stuff for somewhere twice the size!

I insisted on getting a breadmaker as a wedding present which is getting good use and am trying to persuade my OH that takeawary pizza is not in fact the world's finest food! I'm getting there....slowly....

Looking forward to chatting to you all...
  • Diane_239
    Diane_239 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    everyone i;m single parent to three brats 15,18 and 19,my youngest two have special needs but i wouldn't swap them for the world. I work part time at wilkos and do one day a week in a chartie shop.love catching up on the threads,great fan of the grocery challenge.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :hello: Hello.

I was directed here by moanymoany, and have been meaning to check out the OS board for ages since PasturesNew mentioned cheesecake ;) . I'm 29, married, not working. I live with my parents :o and my DH lodges in London so we don't see each other weekdays. We are saving for our first house (hence fairly oldstyle living arrangements). I'm pretty old style anyway I think. I've been cleaning with vinegar for a long time:rolleyes:, I cook (quite well) from scratch, and bake and make jam and all that kind of thing I'm not very good at sewing though :o I do try sometimes. We are the kind of people that put on a jumper instead of tunring the heater up (or on, DH and I don't use central heating very often at all). We have chickens for eggs, we are learning to drive horses this year (we ride), we hope one day to drive the horse not the car for local errands, major old style eh?:o

anyway, I'm glad moanymoany finally got me to look around a bit more, and I like the idea of having an introductory thread:cool:
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,776 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tyadog wrote: »
    Nice to have an introductory thread.

Husband and myself plus 2 labradors and 2 moggies make up the family, we both work full time, and spend much of the rest of the time looking after the pets. Tend to be quite old style as we are in our early 40's so our parents grew up in WWII and went through rationing etc, so we were brought up not to be wasteful etc, but think we have lapsed a bit over the years!

Have been following the threads for quite a while, but only recently got up the courage to post!

Love a bargain, hate full price...!! Looking to economise, and have managed to take 1/3rd off our last quarters electricity usage by being more aware, so there must be plenty of other areas where we can do more!

You need to join us on the 'If things get tougher' because we're going to find out how to calculate leccy costs! - I hope. I've had a bash but no-one's confirmed if I've done it right yet.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Alexelisey
    Alexelisey Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    This is my third post of the day so it's time to introduce myself. I'm 37 and not working - my fiancé (48) has arthritis and can't work. I tried being a part-time cleaner a few years back but the DWP took most of what I earned off OH and the bit that was left didn't cover my transport costs for the week. How nuts is that?

We've raised OH's kids for the last 17.5 years since his ex left them on the doorstep, so that's taken most of my time. The youngest is now 18 (hooray!). I used to know nothing about computers but I had to learn in order to understand OH so it's no bad thing. We've kept chickens pretty much full-time since 1996 although right now we only have one. We also have a cat, a 5 year old Persian called Misty (his pedigree name takes too long to type or say).

Mortgage-free since 2003, own our own house, OH has a small personal loan (under 10k now) which we had to take out when we bought this house as we couldn't get a mortgage. The credit card is under control but rising costs are biting hard. Thankfully we swapped our gas-guzzling luxury car three years ago for a little thing to pootle around in!

That's probably enough, or I'll be here all night and I want to go and read the 30-odd pages of this thread I haven't got to yet ;)
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • gingerkirsty
    Options
    I am 30, a work at home mum to 2 little ones aged 3 and 4. They will be joined in about 5 weeks by a little brother or sister. I used to be really bad at the house side of stuff, even buying lasagne! I am gradually improving and love doing the old style stuff, especially baking with the kids. I also use hm washing powder, dishwashing stuff and cleaning stuff. Gotta love bicarb!

Finding this forum great for moneysaving ideas that I hadn't thought of as well as recipes :)
    K xx

Mum to 3, aged 6,5 and 1. Avon rep since Nov 2009
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm nearly 23 and a stay-at-home mum of two boys age just2 and nearly1. I live in East Sussex with my soon-to-be-husband who is a self employed gardener, he had no work for nearly a month recently so we are now tres skint hence so much MSEing. Luckily work is picking up and I have a job tho not started it yet, as a home-help/carer. Also hopefully a bit of cleaning work. All stuff I can do in the evening when OH gets home. Also doing the care work to see if I can cope as I'm considering nursing.
    I've always been a home-cooking, bargain-hunting improviser so really love MSE.
    Hi to everyone and thanks for being so helpful and lovely!:D
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • kimlisa66
    kimlisa66 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Ive posted a bit on DFW board so now making an appearance here.

I'm Kim, 42, live in Southampton, separated last year after 22 years married, all very traumatic. 3 great kids, (well most of the time anyway ) 20, 18 and 10. 20 yr old is a Soldier in the Royal Engineers based in Kent, but I do get to see him every weekend.

18 yr son old lives at home, but works with his dad, my brother and Grandad in the family tarmac business. 10yr old daughter is a bright and cheeky little angel who is so much fun to be around.

I have pretty much worked since eldest was 3 months old when I went back to work full time. Didn't enjoy it so looked around for part time, and have really done what I can to fit in around their needs....at the height of my manic period I held down 7 cleaning jobs a night from 5 to 10pm....no wonder I was so skinny !

Things have changed since those early days, I now work 30 hours a week for a mental health charity as a PA to the Chief Exec, and evenings and weekends I run my own Entertainment Agency with my brilliant business partner who is a full time musician. He is the musical element and I am the organiser. We supply acts, mainly tribute acts, to a number of clubs, pubs, corporate clients etc in Southern England.

Unfortunately we don't quite make enough for me to give up the day job, and with the current climate, I am glad I have that as security. My health is not so good these days and Ive had 3 operations in the past year so I know that with the day job, at least I get sick pay.
    Currently managing just about OK financially as ex OH is paying the mortgage, but not sure how I would be without that, but still have to be ultra careful managing my budget.

Off into hospital on Wedensday for a hysterectomy, so I will have plenty of time post-op to check the brilliant money saving tips on this boar
    d

Kim :T:T
    Various CC's 1.2k down £800 Overdraft £1.5 down £2000 loan 1.5k last payment made today Tax Credit overpayment (HMRC mistake!) £19,5k written off !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure