Share Dealing Discussion Area

Comments

• I,_Brian
    I,_Brian Posts: 191 Forumite
    musclesza wrote: »
    Yeah that helps a lot - Can I buy and sell as often as I want in an ISA? Think its time to get the ISA's cracking

Yes, so long as you keep the amount of money you put in limited to the yearly allowance of £7200.
  • musclesza
    musclesza Posts: 113 Forumite
    I,_Brian wrote: »
    Yes, so long as you keep the amount of money you put in limited to the yearly allowance of £7200.

Thanks mate
    Dec 31 2009 target: Currently have SAVED: £2963/£20 000
    Just another 17 037 to go
    Debt: 1700+1600 = 3300
    Savings: 2700+1100 = 3800
    Shares 2463
  • Sol00
    Sol00 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm new to stocks and shares so any help would be appreciated!

I read Martin's article and it has helped, however, after comparing Halifax Sharesave with iii.co.uk, I'm not sure what would be best for me to use.

I want to invest a small amount monthly rather than a lump sum.

Thanks
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Have a look at the Motley Fool (below), and other investment websites, read plenty, do plenty of research of companys and good luck,

http://www.fool.co.uk/investments/investments.aspx
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
  • cdti
    cdti Posts: 30 Forumite
    Im a student and me and my mates are looking at taking a punt in shares. Its money we can afford to lose, but obviously, were not looking to lose it!

Im confused by all the sharedealing terminology and was wondering if the following is correct.

Say I buy 1000 shares at 25p. And say the shares go up to 30p. I sell at 30p. Taking into account fees, of say £8 per transaction I will be £34 up right? Or is it not that simple? Also, Say a share is at 25p, do I actually buy at that much or can I buy for less?
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    If the shares went up 30p to 55p you will get a lower sell price, and vice versa when you buy, i.e the buy price is higher than the shares actual price.
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
  • cdti wrote: »
    Im a student and me and my mates are looking at taking a punt in shares. Its money we can afford to lose, but obviously, were not looking to lose it!

Im confused by all the sharedealing terminology and was wondering if the following is correct.

Say I buy 1000 shares at 25p. And say the shares go up to 30p. I sell at 30p. Taking into account fees, of say £8 per transaction I will be £34 up right? Or is it not that simple? Also, Say a share is at 25p, do I actually buy at that much or can I buy for less?

mate, learn a bit for diving in head first!!!!!!
    Dec 31 2009 target: Currently have SAVED: £2963/£20 000
    Just another 17 037 to go
    Debt: 1700+1600 = 3300
    Savings: 2700+1100 = 3800
    Shares 2463
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    cdti wrote: »

You buy from the best offer and sell to the best bid, when share prices are quoted as a specific single price such as 25p that is usually the last trade price. The gap or difference between the bid and offer is known as the "spread" The spread will vary depending on how liquid the stock is (how many shares trade per day average)
    If you are just looking "to punt" it might be worth looking at a spread betting account, to see if they offer the company you want to punt on.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • adambro
    adambro Posts: 243 Forumite
    tradetime wrote: »
    You buy from the best offer and sell to the best bid, when share prices are quoted as a specific single price such as 25p that is usually the last trade price. The gap or difference between the bid and offer is known as the "spread" The spread will vary depending on how liquid the stock is (how many shares trade per day average)
    If you are just looking "to punt" it might be worth looking at a spread betting account, to see if they offer the company you want to punt on.

I would strongly discourage anyone not even familiar with buying shares long to consider the likes of spread betting. When buying shares long it is at least straightforward to work out how much you could loose. With spread betting, CFDs etc. this isn't the case. You can loose a lot more than you originally invest. For simplicity, and as a student investor/trader myself, I'd suggest sticking to long positions only for a substantial period of time to build up a real understanding of sharedealing.
  • Talking of trading in shares, i wish to trade in some Australian shares. I'm based in the UK and have been seeking a way of doing this trading online. Any ideas regarding brokers who deal in this market, pitfalls, etc, etc, ?
    Is it better to try and find an Aussie based broker, or a UK based one ?
    Any ideas regarding the tax situation whilst dealing with Australian shares from the UK ?
    Any advice on the above will be much appreciated. Thanks. JLM
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure