Tried to save money on sky....ended up quadruple the bill...

Options
Last month received email saying our subscription (currently at £21.50) would be going up by £4.50 from 1st June.
Oh got on straight and said cancel, he really only watches for sports and footie season was nearly over so we thought we'd save a few bob. They offered us what we thought was £14.75 for 6 months, however checking Mays bill today, it has come out at £53.86, with next months coming in at £41.44. Don't really understand how this has happened, instead of the 4.50 increase we thought we were saving, we have ended up paying over double.

Only home from work ther now and of course that particular department is closed so it will be next week before I get this sorted. Do y think we have any comeback on this? Have read through the emails and it doesn't state anything about a new contract length but have heard here if you change you package you are reconstructed for another 12 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sk56
Savings: £2 Jar: £804/£1000
Debts: Santander 1211.12/1780.47 (32% Paid) Total Debt Paid Off £12871.66

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What package did you have and what have you agreed to ?

Could they have said £40 which was mis-heard as £14 and what did the confirmation email/printed letter say ?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    skea56 wrote: »
    Last month received email saying our subscription (currently at £21.50) would be going up by £4.50 from 1st June.
    Oh got on straight and said cancel, he really only watches for sports and footie season was nearly over so we thought we'd save a few bob. They offered us what we thought was £14.75 for 6 months, however checking Mays bill today, it has come out at £53.86, with next months coming in at £41.44. Don't really understand how this has happened, instead of the 4.50 increase we thought we were saving, we have ended up paying over double.

Only home from work ther now and of course that particular department is closed so it will be next week before I get this sorted. Do y think we have any comeback on this? Have read through the emails and it doesn't state anything about a new contract length but have heard here if you change you package you are reconstructed for another 12 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sk56

If you had Sports and were only paying £21.50 then you must have had a substantial discount -presumably this was still in force ,BUT when you phoned re the price increase that will have triggered a new deal and the previous discounted deal has been overwritten :(with presumably a much worse deal which you have accepted.As previous poster -have you got the £14.75 pm in writing ??
    A bit late now, but I suspect your actual increase from June would have been much less than £4.50 as that was the generic (ie full price) increase.
    For example, my letter said £4.75 pm but the actual discounted increase was £2.35 pm.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    From this post you appear to have accepted a 60% discount on the Variety package plus Sports last September.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69129029#204

What you appear to have done is accepted a discount of £14.75 (as opposed to it costing you £14.75) which has cancelled your 60% discount deal.

Your package won't have been going up by £4.50 but 60% of that £4.50.

Whether or not you'll be able to get your original discount back is very debatable.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I suppose it was inevitable that someone who thinks £41.44 (or even £53.86) is "quadruple" £21.50 was always going to struggle when attempting to haggle a discount...

Since the original discount was applied only last September, I'm not sure OP will be able to have it reinstated and she may even find herself locked into a new 12 month contract.
  • jem16
    Options
    I suppose it was inevitable that someone who thinks £41.44 (or even £53.86) is "quadruple" £21.50 was always going to struggle when attempting to haggle a discount...

I think the OP meant quadruple what they thought they had negotiated. They did say they have now ended up paying double.

Whether or not it can be fixed depends on what actually took place on the call. Did the OP totally misunderstand what was being said or did the Sky rep actually say they would pay £14.75?

Usually they tell you what your next few bills would be when arranging any deals so I'm surprised this didn't happen.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having "evidence" of the conversation is the BIG advantage of the chat system with the Sky Retentions people!!
  • skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments, even @Moneyineptitute who obviously cannot read with his/her smart comments.

It does appear we have misunderstood the information given to us. It was my husband that had phoned them but it comes out of my account so I don't think we'll have much redress now with them.

The email sent to us actually says £14.75 for 6 months, which is what we were thought we had agreed to, however when we read the small print it states this is with Sky TV which is obviously where the £50 odd figure comes from.

Very annoyed but I suppose there is not much we can do - but really, why would you ring up looking to complain about a £4.50 increase but then agree to a £14.75 increase instead. As I said I didnt make the call but I cannot believe my husband would have agreed to this.

sk56
  • jem16
    Options
    It does appear we have misunderstood the information given to us. It was my husband that had phoned them but it comes out of my account so I don't think we'll have much redress now with them.

Well you may but you do need to actually contact them. Who is the actual Sky account holder - you or your husband?
    The email sent to us actually says £14.75 for 6 months, which is what we were thought we had agreed to, however when we read the small print it states this is with Sky TV which is obviously where the £50 odd figure comes from.

I'm not following you here. You have the variety package with sports - is that correct?

What exactly does it say about the £14.75? Does it state that that is the discount for 6 months or does it state that is what you are paying for 6 months? Very important difference.
    Very annoyed but I suppose there is not much we can do - but really, why would you ring up looking to complain about a £4.50 increase but then agree to a £14.75 increase instead. As I said I didnt make the call but I cannot believe my husband would have agreed to this.

sk56

Well it does seem a rather odd thing to agree to although in saying that you were never going to get the Variety package plus Sports for £14.75.

However what is important is that you ask Sky to review the call to see exactly what was said.

You shouldn't just accept it if your husband is sure he agreed a price of £14.75 and not just a discount of £14.75.
  • skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Well you may but you do need to actually contact them. Who is the actual Sky account holder - you or your husband?

The account is in my husband's name yet its comes out of my bank account. We did try last year to put all accounts (Phone TV etc) in my name as I am more likely to ring up as he works long and strange hours. But at the time Sky were offering a better deal to him when he threatened to cancel than they would to me as a new account holder. I am named on the account, but they always ask to speak to the main account holder first before speaking to me.

I'm not following you here. You have the variety package with sports - is that correct?

Yes I believe it is variety with sports

What exactly does it say about the £14.75? Does it state that that is the discount for 6 months or does it state that is what you are paying for 6 months? Very important difference.

The exact wording of the email is as follows:

In large writing - "£14.75 a month for 6 months"
    And then belwo in small writing - "Sky Sports for 6 months with £12.75 off a month (currently £14.75 a month with Sky TV). After your 6 month offer period ends, you will pay the standard applicable price for Sky Sports customers (currently £27.50 a month with Sky TV) unless you cancel your subscription by giving us at least 3 days notice. Taking this offer will replace any existing Sky TV pack offers on your account (covers Sky Movies, Sky Sports or any of the TV bundles) Price may go up during your offer period."

Well it does seem a rather odd thing to agree to although in saying that you were never going to get the Variety package plus Sports for £14.75.

However what is important is that you ask Sky to review the call to see exactly what was said.

You shouldn't just accept it if your husband is sure he agreed a price of £14.75 and not just a discount of £14.75.

Thank you, if he home at a reasonable hour this evening, I will try and speak to them.

sk56
  • jem16
    Options
    The exact wording of the email is as follows:

In large writing - "£14.75 a month for 6 months"
    And then belwo in small writing - "Sky Sports for 6 months with £12.75 off a month (currently £14.75 a month with Sky TV). After your 6 month offer period ends, you will pay the standard applicable price for Sky Sports customers (currently £27.50 a month with Sky TV) unless you cancel your subscription by giving us at least 3 days notice. Taking this offer will replace any existing Sky TV pack offers on your account (covers Sky Movies, Sky Sports or any of the TV bundles) Price may go up during your offer period."

Well the smallprint certainly makes it clear as to what has happened.

Sounds like your husband decided to cancel Sky Sports as opposed to the whole package. They then offered him a discount of £14.75pm for 6 months - that's why it says £14.75 off a month if you have Sky TV. The normal price of Sky Sports with Sky TV is £27.50pm as it says so he's agreed to pay £13pm for 6 months but just for Sky Sports alone.

Further on in the small print it also says that taking this offer will cancel any existing Sky TV pack offers - so taking that Sky Sports offer for 6 months cancelled that 60% discount that you already had on the Variety package and Sky Sports which still had another 3 months or so to run.

Thank you, if he home at a reasonable hour this evening, I will try and speak to them.

sk56

It's worth speaking to them although I think he's been given the correct information with regards to the offer he's discussed which was for Sky Sports only by the sound of it.

Very unlikely that you'll get back your original 60% off discount to be honest as it looks to be your husband that has made the mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure