Energy Care Group UK Limited Anyone Heard Of?

Comments

• My mother who is 84 recently she has had her loft insulated. This was done by a company called Energize. On their website they are called Energycare UK Ltd and their address is, 1, Appley Court, Appley Wood Corner, Haynes, Bedford, Bedfordshire MK45 3QQ.
    As far as I can ascertain, they knocked on her door to tell her about government grants available and she signed forms presented by them. They say they wouldn't have done this and that she must have contacted them. I'm pretty sure she didn't do this.

Installation was free to her and will be paid for by a government grant. I understand that Energy care recover the grant money from my mother's energy supplier. When I contacted her energy supplier, they said that this company is not on their list of recommended installers.

She already had existing insulation between the joists. This further insulation has caused her alot of problems. She stores a large amount of stuff in the roof space, some of which I managed to move prior to installation of the insulation material. The insulation has been cut to fit around the boxes still left in the loft. The house is very small and her spare room is now completely full of stuff and therefore unuseable. All this stuff, which I took out of the roof space, now has to go back. The boxes of stuff still in the roof space have been made unreachable by the presence of the new insulation material. Since the insulation material is now covering the boarding (not fixed or complete) this makes it impossible for my mother to access her loft space safely or to use it as useful storage. I feel that she should have been questioned more fully about how she uses the loft. It then would have been seen that, in her case, extra insulation was not suitable without further work to her loft space. I would be unhappy about her (or myself) going up into the loft without suitable protective clothing. It seems to me that this company is just trying to get it's money from the government, knowing that noeone will check the work and leaving pensioners with big problems? The best solution would be for this company (Energize) to remove the insulation so that she can safely use her loft again. I assume that, since she has now had her allocation of grant money for loft insulation, she won’t get another grant to do the job properly in the future. I asked Energize if I could speak to their customer relations department and was told they don’t have one. They also told me that they have no complaints procedure. They also told me, that since my mother agreed to the work, they did it and that I would have to pay to get the insulation removed.
    Any ideas?
  • Hello again, I've just been looking up Energy Care on Google. There are several companies using these words in their name and it's EnergyCare UK Ltd that is causing people problems.
  • lindymac wrote: »
    I have been using the Scottish branch of Energycare to insulate homes in my local area as part of a community energy-saving project. Because of our island location, none of the big firms would even consider coming over, and people here were not able to take advantage of the grants and free insulation. Michael at Energycare was the first one I spoke to who was willing to give it a go - to date they have insulated over 30 houses and are coming back soon to survey another 20. There have occasionally been hiccups with bad weather and missed appointments but this is real life and these things happen. So far I have had no complaints about their work, and many comments on their speed, efficiency and tidiness. They are also polite and well-mannered and appear to take a real pride in their work. I have recommended them to a similar project on another island and they have had the same experience with them. No firm will have a 100% satisfaction rate, but for me this team has come very very close! Hope this is useful to Scottish members.

In the rules published by OFGEM none of the energy suppliers can refuse to insulate your home because you live on an island. If you are having problems try your own enrgy supplier, if they refuse contact OFGEM via their website and they will help
  • asfish
    asfish Posts: 8 Forumite
    My local free paper has a 4 sided advert for Energy Care UK LTD on the front of it this week

Guess that this lot is not worth bothering with?

I went to the EST and they have a lot of people on their site that will do this work. Prices range from £56 -£358 though. These are just web prices.

Are there differences in quality and service or do the companies doing this just take bigger slices of the grant money?

Would rather spend more money on something like this if it means I getter a better job done.
  • I used the Haynes Energy care group in February 2011 to update my loft insulation and install cavity wall insulation. Each team turned up on same day as agreed. Both teams were efficient and quick with the install. The loft installation took about an hour and the cavity about two. Cavity wall cost £99 and £199 for the loft. Have noticed the difference already. Saw the 4 page spread reffered to above. I would reccomend this company.
  • Energycare Group MK45 3QQ have pushed a letter through my door offering totally free cavity and loft insulation, even for people not on benefits. I am waiting for the catch. But the money comes from the carbon emissions reduction target (CERT) which 100% grant funds all home owners so the letter says.

Has anyone else got this letter?
  • Energycare Group MK45 3QQ have pushed a letter through my door offering totally free cavity and loft insulation, even for people not on benefits. I am waiting for the catch. But the money comes from the carbon emissions reduction target (CERT) which 100% grant funds all home owners so the letter says.

Has anyone else got this letter?

Hi, I got this letter and have checked it out with CERT 0800512012 - and it is free!!! It's being paid for by the big 6 power companies as they have to reduce emissions and this is a cost effective way of doing it. Apparently MK postcodes have higher emissions than elsewhere, hence doing it in our area. I didn't believe it myself! Give the above number a call. I got it from the council. You gotta love a freebie!!! Good luck!
  • GlowingG
    GlowingG Posts: 12 Forumite
    I have had an unsolicited cold call from Energy Care Centre outbound call centre. The saleman said used a name of someone who has never lived at this address nor had this phone number. He refused to give me information on the company employing him and running the call centre. When I said it was not legal to call me, he hung up. Unacceptable sales process - reported to the TPS.
  • Markuss
    Markuss Posts: 6 Forumite
    The utility companies are under pressure to reduce their carbon emissions and deadlines are approaching, which is why there are so many offers of free insulation around at the moment.

To be sure of getting a reputable installation company carry out the work, please apply via government-grants.co.uk

We have been running this site for 6 years now, have generated over 1/2 million enquiries and had but a handful of complaints during that time, less than 10 in fact and most of these due to being unable to make the allotted appointment time, with only 2 to my knowledge being work related.
  • Markuss
    Markuss Posts: 6 Forumite
    TPS as far as I know, have not made any prosecutions. I hope that's not true as this cold calling needs to stop, it's getting very intrusive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure