Santander 123 account interest payments.

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    innovate wrote: »
    Santander (and other banks) calculate interest on a daily basis. See their T&Cs.

Nice bit of trimming there. Nice. Very nice.

I expected that response from you, as a long-time Santander defender. I was, therefore, careful with my wording.

I wrote:
    The Average balance for the month figures Santander give on my first 123 statement and previous Preferred Account statements don't appear to be what I would expect: the total of the balance at the end of each day divided by the number of days during the statement period.

So, I'd guess Santander uses some other way to calculate it.

Note that I was clearly referring to the Average balance for the month figure.

As I said, nice try.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Impossible to comment further with the information given. I don't personally fully believe their 'average' figure, so would prefer to calculate the interest from scratch.

Happy to help further if you post (or send me a PM with) your daily closing balances (as per your statement), along with details of any cheques paid in during the period.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Well I finally got some answers from Santander. They wanted £10 to give a complete breakdown - but waived the sum after a little persuasion.

Firstly the monthly average balance is meaningless - so why include it?

The breakdown I got covered every day in the month and they take the daily closing balance and multiply by 2.96%(if over £3k and to a max of £20k) and divide by 365(366 days in a leap year) to get the daily interest accrued.

Interestingly they have two columns, one showing gross interest and the other with the 20% tax deducted. However you are credited with the gross amount. Could be close to £600pa

So that means, like most of us, I will have to get my accountant to declare the gross interest on my Tax return and have 50% deducted - thank goodness it will drop to a 45% deduction in April;)
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    However you are credited with the gross amount.

Are you registered to receive gross interest?
    You may be able to register with us to receive interest gross. Otherwise interest will be paid net of income tax at the prescribed rate. Where you are a higher rate or additional rate tax payer, you may be liable to pay additional tax on any interest we pay to you.
    Other taxes or costs may exist that are not paid via us or imposed by us. It is your responsibility to ensure that this tax is paid.
    Source: clause 20 of the Santander general T&Cs
  • Cardew
    edited 10 February 2013 at 12:06AM
    Are you registered to receive gross interest?

Source: clause 20 of the Santander general T&Cs

No!

Indeed Tax has been deducted from all the Esaver accounts I have had with Santander. e.g. on closing my last account

26/11/2012 INTEREST PAID AFTER TAX 125.71 DEDUCTED

The two previous current accounts(before changing to the 123 account) were the Santander Account and the Zero Account and both used to pay a very low interest rate on credit balances. Looking at old statements, both of these used to pay the interest Gross each month. For example:

Interest paid after tax 0.00 deducted - £1.06

Incidentally my wife and daughter both have Santander current accounts and Esavers and those accounts are the same as mine - 20% tax deducted on Esaver and current account interest paid gross.

I also have current accounts with other banks/BS and I am pretty certain that interest is also paid gross; albeit small amounts as they are only used as a conduit to saving accounts.

Be interesting to see if others get interest on 123 account paid Gross.
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a 123, and I always had my interest paid after tax (statement says "Interest paid after xx.xx tax deducted").

Similar on my Halifax, Lloyds and BoS current accounts - basic rate tax is always withheld from the interest (or 'reward') paid.
  • fiesta04
    fiesta04 Posts: 516 Forumite
    Same here

F4
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mine is paid nett too. Cashback doesn't have tax deducted, but I understand that it is not taxable income?
  • Cardew
    I have a 123, and I always had my interest paid after tax (statement says "Interest paid after xx.xx tax deducted").

Similar on my Halifax, Lloyds and BoS current accounts - basic rate tax is always withheld from the interest (or 'reward') paid.

How strange.

I have only had two statements. Both state 'interest paid after Tax 0.00 deducted'

The daily breakdown I have received for the two months has 3 columns showing - Gross Interest - Tax - Net interest - and each payment credited has been the Gross Interest.

My accounts(including current account) were transferred to Santanter from Alliance and Leicester - I wonder if that makes any difference to the codes on the computer?? Although I was never registered to receive gross interest with A & L, indeed as a higher rate tax payer I faithfully declared all interest with the standard rate deducted on my tax return.
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Could have something to do with your account having its roots in A&L. Wasn't there some huge issue with the transfers of these accounts?

My 123 is a 'virgin' Santander account, opened around this time last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure