Wood burning stoves>

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hethmar wrote: »
    But badger, if you have the correct insulation installed around the liner very little heat will escape into the void. You DO have the liner insulated dont you?

Installed by one of your HETAS cabal, Hethmar. How could it not be?

Do you actually have a large inglenook? If so, try the experiment.
  • AGBAGB
    AGBAGB Posts: 118 Forumite
    As I see it, in an inglnook, a fair bit of heat will be absorbed in to the stonework instead of circulating in to the room. I found when it has heated up then a fast flow of warm air spills in to the room from under the mantle. Any heat absorbed by the stone isn't lost however (unless on an out side wall) it acts as a heatstore and is given of as when the the fire dies down. This therefore helps to even out fluctuations in output. But yes it initially heats up slower.

I can see the point about losing heat through the register plate in to the chimney void, so would be best insulated in a single storey house. It could help warm up stairs via the chimney breast. The heat is only wasted when in finally leaves the house.
    :confused:
  • A._Badger
    AGBAGB is right, of course. In fact in a house like mine (16th C), the building method was to construct the chimney and then build the house around it. It has the effect of working like a large storage radiator - and does it very well, in fact: you can stll feel the stored heat 12 hours after the fire has been allowed to go out. It also radiates it upstairs.

The most impressive example I've ever seen was in an ancient bakers' shop where a gigantic chimney had the same effect throughout the building.

The downside (if you can call it that) is that the bricks need heating (as does the void) before the room warms up. The same effect is often found in old country pubs.

Still, these Mediaevals and Tudors - what did they know?
  • We have a Gerogian property with inglenook fireplace and have no issue heating the room. The stove is no bigger than one i'd recommend for any other room that size.

The key is where you fit the register plate. Always fit them as low as possible so there isn't a big void to fill.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    We had a 7 ft wide inglenook in our previous house and a 30ft room and had no problems either, still what did those Elizabethans know eh?
  • A._Badger
    Well, there we have it. HETAS installers not subject to the laws physics.
  • crphillips
    crphillips Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2010 at 12:57PM
    Hehe. You enjoy your little digs at HETAS engineers but the fact is that i've installed thousands of stoves and work with inglenook fireplaces on a daily basis.

Your statements are just theory and i can honestly say that if you have an inglenook you don't need a bigger stove than you'd put into a standard, modern fireplace. I'm talking from experience of thousands of installations. I'm also a licenced aircraft engineer so i'm well familiar with the laws of physics. May i ask your proffesion? I don't want to upset you Badger but this is my trade and i know it well.

The bulk of the heat created by a stove in a large inglenook fireplace will move upwards and out of the fireplace when it hits the register plate at the top. I'd understand the absorbtion theory if the fireplace was made of sponge but they're not. It takes a good day or two of burning for the stone/brick to absorb any reasonable amount of heat. Convected heat will simply rise and float out of the fireplace. If anything, more heat would be absorbed by a smaller fireplace as it's closer to the stove and the heat more intense.

Like i say.....where you fit the register plate and insulation will make the difference between a good installation and a bad one but this i where the experience of a decent HETAS fitter comes in. Like any trade there's good and bad.....HETAS Regsitration doesn't gurantee a good fitter just like CORGI doesn't for gas....you should do what you do with any trade you get in and go for one that comes recommended.
  • Emielou
    Emielou Posts: 36 Forumite
    Hi

I've just bought an Invicta Pharos wood burning stove and a ton of kiln dried oak. All the advice says whenever there is wood in the stove there should be flames, although I am getting great flames to start it seems to die right down after about 1hour and then I just have black and white wood, a 2cm flame on one tiny section of wood and a bit of glowing.

Is this normal? I had expected flames for longer.
    Should I just pop another log in?
    Thanks
  • A._Badger
    crphillips wrote: »
    Hehe. You enjoy your little digs at HETAS engineers but the fact is that i've installed thousands of stoves and work with inglenook fireplaces on a daily basis. .

All I can say is that the man who installed my stove is contracted to the largest stove retailer in this area. He is a registered sweep and HETAS installer and, like you, has installed thousands of the things. He appears to disagree with you, as do I (a mere user) - both about Hunters and inglenooks.

As for HETAS itself (though it also applies to CORGI and other legal monopolies) and whether there is any justification for allowing a privately run company to be the sole judge of what can and cannot be done in a trade, I'll just quote Adam Smith, who expressed my view perfectly - albeit over 200 years ago : "People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices."
  • crphillips
    crphillips Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2010 at 6:13PM
    The solid fuel trade isn't controlled by a single company though. There are other competent person schemes that you can register with for solid fuel. Also you can install them yourself and get building control to sign them off. It's hardly a closed market. Most trades need to be governed by someone with authority otherwise we'd be back to where we were 200 years ago with a lot of bodgy jobs and nobody to answer for them.

I don't see the harm with tradesman making money....afterall thats what we do it for. If we came out with £50 a day then we may as well work at Tesco and do away with all the stress and responsability. If you actually tot up the costs of lining a chimney and installing a stove yourself you can't do it much cheaper than a HETAS fitter.

It's fair enough for you to have your own opinion and disagree as a user but my experience and knowledge is first hand not passed down from 'a guy' who works for 'someone'. Also Hethmar seems to share the same views and her hubby is an installer.

Like you say there are a lot of HETAS installers around that aren't so great and some of these work for big companies. It wouldn't be the first time i've removed a dodgy installation of one of the countries leading suppliers and reinstalled it!

The only time we have problems with stoves is due to wet wood or oversized stoves and no matter how big your inglenook a 12kW stove for a room that needs 4.5kW is too big.....simplz.

Emielou: After an hour you'll probably need more wood......has the wood burn't away?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure