PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

renting rooms to foreign students

Options
not sure if this has been posted before, ive tried looking for it but not seen it anywhere....

does anyone know how i could go about letting out a bedroom to foreign students (sort of like a language exchange students but without me going over there...)

i dont really know much details about this sort of thing but was wondering if anyone has done it or any sites where you can sign up to be a volunteer host

i live a short bus ride from manchester city centre so we are in an ideal location for students

the room is only small but we wouldnt really be wanting to rent for lots of money anyway

any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• mynameisdave
    mynameisdave Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Options
    The best thing to do would be to contact the Universities directly.

They will likely have a housing officer producing lists of available rooms for foreign students. They may want to see the room to check it is suitable but that may not be relevant if it is a room in your house rather than a HMO.

Try Manchester, Man Met, and Salford for a start.
  • shoujoA
    shoujoA Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    thank you very much!! i will look into this
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Google for local language schools. Rules tend to be:
    - no single men allowed to take students
    - no more than 3 students to a bedroom
    - only boys or only girls, can't mix them in the same house
    - you have to provide a breakfast, packed lunch, hot evening meal; contents of these are set out in the Rules but a typical packed lunch would be 2 rolls/sandwiches, a drink, a piece of fruit, a chocolate biscuit in a wrapper. A typical evening meal would have to include a dessert.
    - many schools want you to deliver them to the place in the morning, then collect them again in the evening

So check out the above list against your expectations - and the rules of each individaul school.

Also, if you're taking any under 18 they're usually not allowed out in the evenings, or unsupervised. They can go out with you, but not alone.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    You will probably be required to have an enhanced CRB disclosure
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    and don't forget the cultural differences. I've had some right odd students.

1. the French girl daddy wanted out of his hair for the summer and who used to wander down to the phone box in her pjs.

2. the German lad who thought he owned the house and helped himself to things without asking.

3. a different french girl who didn't like using the tumble drier and hung wet washing on the curtain rail in her bedroom. the room very quickly smelled damp and musty as did her clothes. Also her smalls were visible from the road as her room was at the front of the house.

We also met a nice French girl who remains a friend to this day. I have been to her and her brothers wedding in France.

My sister who lives in Oxford has had some nice foreign students and a couple of odd ones too.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • mynameisdave
    mynameisdave Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, it seems I have misinterpreted your post. I assumed you meant, for instance, offering a room to an 18+ year old who is coming over hear for a degree, if it is exchange programme stuff then the other comments are far better information!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Get international calls blocked on the phone!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    Options
    One of mine was a German girl who was associated with this:

http://www.baader-meinhof.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts