Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

charities for help with vet bills?

Comments

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wheres the caring gone?.

I agree, why do people get pets they can't afford to care for and then expect others to pay for them?
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi we get working tax credits to top up OH's wages and want to get our female dog neutered, the vet quoted around £140. I have looked on pdsa site and am waiting for a reply as not sure I fit into postcode catchment area we live in Wiltshire I too would like to know if there is anywhere in my area to get some help with the costs. thanks

There is a national scheme for neutering, which isn't income based. Even The Queen or Simon Cowell could apply and receive a voucher towards the cost at a participating vet :)
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    If they dont help you you can try Dogstrust and RSPCA.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2009 at 11:40PM
    What I find most unfair about vet bills is the fact that you must pay your 15% VAT on them. There was recently a petition on the downing street website, but the response was that EU laws forbid any further VAT exemptions. This seems utterly preposterous to me, just goes to show that the EU believes its bureacracy is more important than sick animals.
    Furthermore the Government could at least help by reducing the VAT payable to the lowest rate allowed by the EU, 5%, but still no sign.

If someone can explain to me how having a sick animal treated is a luxury expense please come forward. The only instance I could think of would be problems caused by excessive breeding of pedigrees etc, e.g. heart murmurs in Cavalier KCs, hip problems in alsatians and the like.
  • rev_henry
    redpete wrote: »
    I agree, why do people get pets they can't afford to care for and then expect others to pay for them?
    I understand where you're coming from, but surely it is better to have an owner give an animal a loving home and pay at least part of said pet's upkeep rather than have the animal in a rescue shelter, with ALL its upkeep being paid for by volunteers and charity.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    And peoples circumstances can change, particularly in the current economic climate. Someone may find that what was easy to find the money for becomes a lot more difficult if redundancy strikes.
  • There is a national scheme for neutering, which isn't income based. Even The Queen or Simon Cowell could apply and receive a voucher towards the cost at a participating vet :)

I need to get my dog neutered. How do i get in touch with this scheme. My vet has told me that it will cost me £140.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mum had to use the emergency service at the PDSA for our dog one night. Our dog was eventually moved to the royal vet college hospital where she had major surgery on her back. The bill from the PDSA was astronomical and even our vet said it was well above and beyond what she would have expected even for emergency care, thankfully our dog is insured and we got the costs refunded minus the £250 excess.
  • nicky7175
    nicky7175 Posts: 141 Forumite
    i am on income support and looking for help to get my rabbits neutered, does anybody know of any help i could get or point me in the right direction
  • rev_henry
    nicky7175 wrote: »
    i am on income support and looking for help to get my rabbits neutered, does anybody know of any help i could get or point me in the right direction
    Try looking up the PDSA. Their PetAid scheme might cover it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure