Help with taking legal action agaist a builder please

I shall keep this as brief as possible
I signed a contract for some work to be completed with a sole trader in 2014, work commenced in 2015.
The business registered with companies house in Feb 2016 using the same business name so the sole trader now became the Proprietor. I was not informed of this.
I shall now be perusing this through the small claims court as work is outstanding and communication broken down.
Am I perusing this builder as a SE sole trader which he was when I signed the contract or now as a Limited Company? He lodged a large amount of money with Companies House when he registered.
I guess im asking that through the small claims do I stand a chance of getting paid out as I know the business is not doing well with poor cash flow. The amount I would be claiming for would be around £5000.
Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!

Comments

• phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It depends on your contract, communications between you and any evidence you have. It then depends on what assets the person/company in question has and how clever they are in hiding their wealth, wording their contracts/any messages. You can probably go after the company AND the owner (jointly and severally) because of the way things are structured now.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Who were payments made too and when did the breach occur that you are claiming £5000 for?

It is a legal requirement for a limited company to clearly display their company details and company registration number on all official documents and correspondence so he could not have concealed the fact that he was trading as a Limited Company without breaking the law.
  • Good Morning and thanks for your reply. The business name has remained the same throughout so as both a Sole Trader and Limited Company.
    The contracts which are signed and dated outlining all that payment covers were from when the builder was a sole trader. However many months after signing this the business stayed the same in name but the builder registered himself as a limited company with Companies House.
    I was not made aware of this as my contracts were as I said made before then. I found out about the company turning into a limited company from searching Companies house myself where he lodged a sum of over 10k with.
    I have tried to make an appointment with The Citizens Advice but there's over a 3 week wait. So to clarify all payments were made to the builder as a sole trader and all I have receipts for.
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Good Morning and thanks for your reply. The business name has remained the same throughout so as both a Sole Trader and Limited Company.
    The contracts which are signed and dated outlining all that payment covers were from when the builder was a sole trader. However many months after signing this the business stayed the same in name but the builder registered himself as a limited company with Companies House.
    I was not made aware of this as my contracts were as I said made before then. I found out about the company turning into a limited company from searching Companies house myself where he lodged a sum of over 10k with.
    I have tried to make an appointment with The Citizens Advice but there's over a 3 week wait. So to clarify all payments were made to the builder as a sole trader and all I have receipts for.

He must have gone from "Bob the Builder" to "Bob the Builder Ltd." so if he was still trading as the former that would suggest he was still trading as a sole trader or was using it as a trading name. If payments were made to the former that reinforces your argument.

Although it doesn't really make any difference. As a sole trader or a limited company it boils down to whether he has any assets to settle the claim.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I shall now be perusing this through the small claims court as work is outstanding and communication broken down.
    Am I perusing this builder as a SE sole trader which he was when I signed the contract or now as a Limited Company? £5000.

Did you really mean "perusing" (which means "reading")?

A basic rule when doing anything through the courts is to say exactly what you mean. Using long words that you do not understand is a great way to irritate judges and lose your case.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    By the sound of things you have good evidence that your contract was with the individual builder: the fact that he then set up a limited company is not relevant. So if you win you would have a claim against his personal assets (house, car, whatever). Presumably he later set up the company to avoid exposing his personal wealth in this way.
  • Thank you very much for your help and I shall make sure to proof read at least twice. Wishing you both a good day.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite

Why would anyone give Companies House £10k?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Rain Shadow that is a very good question and one i'd also like to know the answer to but I never will find out. As Voyager said above I shall have to claim against his own assets and to be honest I do not think there will be many.
    He doesn't own his property- its in his wifes name only. and I believe although have no proof that he rents the works van. So things do not look good for me sadly.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Rain Shadow that is a very good question and one i'd also like to know the answer to but I never will find out. y.

I know it probably isn't relevant but I'm intrigued to know how you know about the £10k.

If you form a company you don't give CH anything except the registration fee AFAIK. They wouldn't/couldn't accept any other payment. What are you looking at to see this £10k? It isn't just the company's share capital is it?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure