IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Smart Parking LTD requesting settlement by solicitors

I got a parking ticket at the University I attend ( in Edinburgh, Scotland) and I've always been told to ignore private parking tickets (Smart Parking LTD). I've ignored it until now, I have a letter from Gladstones Solicitors requesting payment through debt recovery plus.co.uk within 14 days of £160. This is worrying because the letter mentions court and credit score..

Can someone give me some advice please? Thank you

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Cmyoung wrote: »
    I got a parking ticket at the University I attend ( in Edinburgh, Scotland) and I've always been told to ignore private parking tickets (Smart Parking LTD). I've ignored it until now, I have a letter from Gladstones Solicitors requesting payment through debt recovery plus.co.uk within 14 days of £160. This is worrying because the letter mentions court and credit score..

Can someone give me some advice please? Thank you

Do you actually live in scotland ?

Gladstones are a disfunctional type of solicitor who lose in court because they don't get their facts correct.

Are they actually saying that you should pay DRP ?
    DRP are another disfunctional firm who everyone ignores as they are powerless.

Gladstones are known for their empty threats and as far as your credit rating is concerned, these bovva boys need to take you to court first ... and win .... before anything like that happens.

Don't panic but please tell the full circumstances of what happened
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you live in Scotland, and/or the alleged event happened in Scotland, only the driver is liable. As long as you don't tell them who was driving they are stumped.
    The best way not to tell them is to ignore anything and everything you get from them or their clueless representatives.

I believe the Scottish CAB would be interested in this as unlike the English lot, they actually know about private parking scams.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Do you actually live in scotland ?

As per the above post, that doesn't matter - the event happened in Scotland.
  • beamerguy
    Fruitcake wrote: »

I believe the Scottish CAB would be interested in this as unlike the English lot, they actually know about private parking scams.

The CAB are useless, it is Trading Standards (Scotland)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I wonder if this is a new move by Gladstones/DRP as an attempt to lever up the pressure on Scottish motorists who are generally geared to 'ignore' but a few might just cave seeing the sols are now getting involved.

I suspect this is either a pimping out of letterheads or Gladstones are on an income share with DRP.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    I wonder if this is a new move by Gladstones/DRP as an attempt to lever up the pressure on Scottish motorists who are generally geared to 'ignore' but a few might just cave seeing the sols are now getting involved.

I suspect this is either a pimping out of letterheads or Gladstones are on an income share with DRP.

Gladstones and DRP together, what a farce that will be.
    Mind you, the Panto season is not far away now
  • Cmyoung
    Cmyoung Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 13 October 2016 at 5:50PM
    Thank you for everyone's replies, I'm not sure on the parking ticket lingo hence me seeking out help! Basically, I parked at uni, I don't have a pass that is meant to be displayed (as many other don't as well - and since it's private parking I was always told you could park in it, you'll get a ticket but ignore it) well I got a ticket + ignored it! I've had a few letters from Smart Parking LTD but others have told me to ignore them as well. Then I received the letter from gladstones solicitors (Cheshire).
    (Yes I live in Scotland and my car is registered to my address)

Ok here goes... I'll write out most of the letter...

Due to the absence of payment or a valid appeal our client has instructed us to recover the total amount due to them as shown above. (£160)
    As all other attempts have failed, our client may now instruct us to take legal action against you in the county court. To prevent such action, we invite you to make a payment to DRPL immediately or confirm in writing to DRPL your proposals in respect of this debt. Please note: all proposals should be sent directly to DRPL, proposals sent to Gladstones solicitors may not be considered.
    In order to avoid any further action you should pay the full amount outstanding of £160 within 14 days of this letter. You can make payment online at debtrecoveryplus or by calling their payment line on .....
    Please note the additional costs associated with issuing a claim and the subsequent potential enforcement action is likely to increase the debt. Such costs will include but are not limited to: the court fees, fixed costs for issuing the claim, judgement costs and warrant fees and costs. This may increase if the claim is defended.
    It is important that you understand that if a judgement is registered against you then this could seriously affect your chances of obtaining credit in the future as this imformation can be made available to any interested parties via the register of judgement, orders and fines, and will remain there for 6 years.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    county court?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Yep.. 100% says 'County Court'
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    obviously they think you are in England , should be fun when they file charges , expensive fun for them
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family