Cost of painting the external walls of a house

We have a large 5 bed house (2300sqft) which has two high gable ends requiring scaffolding. We have had two quotes for painting the outside, one at £3000 and the second has come in at £5000. When the paint costs less than £200 and hss hire scaffolding for a couple of weeks for under £500, is this a fair price for labour? Neither gave a time frame but the cheaper one will send at least 2-3 people to do it, the other is a much smaller business. Before hunting for a cheaper quote would these seem a fair price?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Id have a week off and do it myself if I was being charged that much if it's just the painting. I did the back of the house with an extended pole last year. Cost me £150 or there abouts including pole and paint
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Scaffold for a house that big would be nearer £2000 unless you mean a alloy tower. Gables ends off a towerare a nightmare and have to be dropped and moved constantly.
    If painting by brush and roller then £100 a day for each man, x 3 is about right. + materials and PROFIT if its a business.....
    If using modern long term airless sprayer , masking the windows takes an age , if they are spraying modern acrylic HiTech coatings then £112 per 15 ltrs is normal. Even the cheap sandtex type paints are £45 a gallon these days.

This is a major investment and needs doing once every 12-15 years so needs doing right.
    Avoid the 'Never paint again' type companies, but a REAL CONTRACTOR should probably charge even more,.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure