PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Still receiving post for previous house owners

Options

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chappers wrote: »
    just bin it we still get post for the last residents and we have been living here for 25 years.
    Every 3 years we get a new bank card for the lady and every year a paper summary of the ins and outs of her account, and yes I have been so nosey) which she clearly still uses.
    I have contacted Lloyds on several occasions and still they come.
    My point is there is little you can do and it will continue for some time, just bin it, it will diminish over time

Wow, that's bonkers after all those years! How do you get her new bank card to her?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Setting up redirection also takes 5 minutes.....

I paid for redirection but still got a few bits arriving that had clearly gone to my old address first.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2017 at 5:21PM
    Options
  • Phil&Michelle
    Options
    It will take time for it to stop completely. We used to bin anything which clearly looked like junk mail and return to sender anything which looked more important.
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We lived at our old house for 15 years and we’re still getting post for people that had lived there before. I used to return to sender with no longer at this address written on it. Didn’t do much good to be honest with some senders!
  • purpleparrotuk
    Options
    I always wonder when you exchange and complete in such a short time, how do you redirect your mai in time l? It takes at least 5 working days according to the Royal Mail site so what happens with post that gets through the net before then. I was thinking af leaving a note and asking the buyers if there was anything that looked important in the first week if they would mind leaving it with the estate agent and I could pop in. Do you think that would be cheeky? Then anything after they could just forward or return to sender.
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always wonder when you exchange and complete in such a short time, how do you redirect your mai in time l? It takes at least 5 working days according to the Royal Mail site so what happens with post that gets through the net before then. I was thinking af leaving a note and asking the buyers if there was anything that looked important in the first week if they would mind leaving it with the estate agent and I could pop in. Do you think that would be cheeky? Then anything after they could just forward or return to sender.
    Seems reasonable enough to ask....
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, that's bonkers after all those years! How do you get her new bank card to her?

I don't We just cut it up and bin it, though one time we even got a new PIN number. At one point we were getting quarterly statements too. But now it's just an annual summary
    She was still using the account too, being paid via the University. Money was coming in every now and again and being immediately transferred to another account.
    I did wonder if there was something suspicious going on but it's hardly likely they were both Oxford University Academics with a young family who moved abroad in 1992. I suspect she just keeps the account to take payments for work she does in this country and operates the account online.
    I have rung Lloyds, been into the branch, written to them sent cards back. But it makes no difference. regular as clockwork, every year we get an annual summary and was every 2 years but now every 3 a new card.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As other people have suggested, "NO LONGER RESIDENT, RETURN TO SENDER" sorts out 90% of it. For the stuff that still arrives, a phone call to the sender with liberal use of foul language seems to work.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Unless they live or work next door to the estate agent, I think it's a bit cheeky to expect them to deliver stuff to the gents for you.

If you don't want to leave your forwarding address (which is the simplest way to do it) I'd suggest that you leave several large, stamped envelopes, addressed to yourself c/o the agents, and ask them to put anything which comes in the first week or so in them, and post them That way, all they need to do is pop the envelope into a post box, rather than having to take it to the agents. (obviously check with the agents they are OK with you doing this first)

Or simply leave a roll of sticky labels, pre-written with "re-direct to" and your new address on and ask them to stick one of those on anything that comes and put it back in the post.

You're asking them to do you a favour, so make it as easy for them as you can.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure