Housing Benefit & Council Tax Question

xsunnysuex
xsunnysuex Posts: 582
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 20 June 2012 at 11:29AM in Housing benefit help
Good afternoon. My daughter has been away at uni for the last 3yrs. Her out of term address was here with me.
All this time I kept housing/council tax dept aware of where she was.
Now she is just about to finish uni, and will be coming home to live full time. She has no job to go to. So will be signing on and claiming JSA.
Will my housing and council tax benefit stay the same as it is now? Or will it change in any way? I am claiming ESA.
Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You will need to inform them that she has returned to live with you and provide details of her low income. I assume she will sign on for JSA?

Check out non-dependent's contribution - this is what she is expected to contribute to CT and housing.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • daimonde
    daimonde Posts: 200
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if she receives JSA & is under 25 then there shouldnt be any change to your HB/CTB if shes not in the assessment at present;

Housing Benefit
    5.504 A non-dependant deduction is not made in the following circumstances
    • claimant or their partner is
    - blind or treated as blind, and is or was registered as blind by the LA, or
    - receiving
    ~ the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at any rate, or
    ~ Attendance Allowance (AA)
    • non-dependant is
    - living or staying with the claimant but, in the LA’s opinion, the non-dependant’s normal
    home is elsewhere, see Deciding the non-dependant’s normal home below
    - receiving a Youth Training allowance paid in connection with a Youth Training Scheme,
    eg YTS or Work-based Learning for Young Adults courses
    - a full-time student. For the definition of full-time student, see C2 Student claims later
    in this manual. Normal rules apply during the summer vacation if the student is in
    remunerative work
    - aged 16 or 17 years
    - a hospital in-patient for more than 52 weeks
    - a prisoner
    - aged less than 25 and receives IS, JSA(IB) or the assessment phase of ESA(IR)
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    The above replies are correct and complete- nothing to add as far as I can see.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    xsunnysuex wrote: »
    Good afternoon. My daughter has been away at uni for the last 3yrs. Her out of term address was here with me.
    All this time I kept housing/council tax dept aware of where she was.
    Now she is just about to finish uni, and will be coming home to live full time. She has no job to go to. So will be signing on and claiming JSA.
    Will my housing and council tax benefit stay the same as it is now? Or will it change in any way? I am claiming ESA.
    Any help appreciated. Thank you.
    I would like to confirm what others have said - if she is under 25 and is getting income based JSA then she will not be considered as a non dependent adult for benefit purposes.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure