Tradesman quote frustration

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had the same problems I am having trying to get quotes out of tradesman? I've had a few electricians and plumbers around to look at some work regarding a kitchen fit, they come round, talk a good game and give a ball park figure, they then say they will get it in writing and email it over across then nothing? I've been waiting weeks for these quotes? It really is like banging my head against a wall, I wonder how these people are still in business.

The one that took the !!!! the most is a electrician who quoted a price when he looked at it then text over saying it would be £200 more. I mean come on, you have to be really incompetent to get your calculations that far out.

Anyway, rant over. Does anyone have any advice to deal with this tradesman, do you have to be tougher with them or should I just call about 10 up to quote and prey one will be decent?

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Who is doing the kitchen fit? Trades have to be very well coordinated when doing a kitchen and as they don't know the fitter they may simply not want to take it on as it's bound to be awkward for them.
  • I ran teams all over the UK from our base in Manchester.

Jobs need to be :
    Large enough to justify travel and profit. (yes we worked for wages & profit like any other business).
    Many 'tradesmen' working on their own, just need to earn a living, but even they need to pay for van, insurance, tax, PL insurance, accountants, etc etc and go to see projects but don't get commitment from the client. They then moan that they get undercut or have wasted their time.
    My motto when asked for prices, my motto was:

Average price ....We don't do average just fantastic.
    Ballpark figure..... no I don't play ball I play fair.
    Approximate cost..... Reassuringly expensive.

Any help or no help?

Whats worse they then
  • CarolK
    CarolK Posts: 28
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've had exactly the same problem - a painter and decorator came round to give us a quote and spent the whole time telling us how he'd just missed out on getting a cheap probate property on which he would have made a big chunk of profit by doing it up and selling on within 6 months.

Never got a quote so ended up doing the work myself.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We have had people who promise to come and don’t turn up, who arrange a date and then cancel, who come but don’t give a figure, who give a round figure but no written quotation, who look at the job but won’t give a full quote unless you say you will go with them......
    And now they are all just too busy, or will come and quote but can’t promise a date till November.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure