Fencing quote

We need to have the fence line between ourselves and our neighbours replaced and we've agreed to split the cost.

The existing run of fencing is a mess of cheap lap fence panels that are falling apart. The first half of the run is set on what looks like a breeze block/concrete base wall fixed with brackets onto what I can only describe as scaffolding poles set into the ground. I have no idea why. The rest of the run is in concrete posts with concrete gravel boards however most of them aren't straight, some of them move and some of them are showing signs of deterioration and cracking.

Original plan had been to just have the poles removed and replaced with concrete posts and reuse the existing ones but I'm starting to think we'd get a better end result if we replaced the whole lot.

From house to rear boundary its a straight run of 17x 6ft bays - 16 full panel and one cut panel to finish the run, and at the end a 90 degree hand panel return to our garage wall. I make it 16 concrete intermediate posts, 2 end posts, 1 corner post, concrete gravel boards and 18 6ft x 5ft pressure treated close board panels.

I've had one quote so far which included removal of existing fencing and disposal of waste of £2800. Does that sound about right?

The best price I've managed to find from a local fencing supplier for just the materials is £1155 (that includes 38 bags of Postcrete from Wickes). Assuming the person I've had a quote from is getting materials for a similar price, that makes the labour + waste disposal costs approx. £100 per bay. It seems expensive, I'm tempted to try and do it myself (with neighbour's help).

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't forget £200 for a skip. Then an element to allow for the unknown, nasty gremlins that'll crop up underground.

I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to do it much cheaper.
  • As it turned out, we got a third quote which came in at just over £2100 all in. Much more professional, got a proper written quote with 12 month guarantee on workmanship. Works out just shy of £120 per bay labour + materials which seems to line up with what I was expecting it to cost. Job will take between 2-3 days.

They showed me some examples of their work which looked really good - my neighbour wanted to know if they'd done anything locally that we could look at and they were happy to oblige having done a job just around the corner (and the two houses next door as well).

Neighbour confirmed the quality of workmanship, as did the person who they did the work for, so they've been booked in. 6 weeks until they are next free which I guess is also a good sign.

Just shows its always worth getting more quotes.
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 235
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have the final panel extended instead of a short cut panel, looks loads better.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,709
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I worked a couple of years ago with a guy who done fencing, and approx. pricing in South East was £100 per bay, that included digging, levelling, concrete or wooden post, standard 6ft panel and gravel board
  • Allder93 wrote: »
    Being booked up is always a good thing, pricing really depending on your location, here in North East Essex the average price is around £100-£110 per bay INCLUDING labour, materials and VAT

i tried to add an image so you can get an idea or the quality of workmanship materials but it wouldn't let me.

Chris,
    EastCoastFencing.co.uk

No need Chris, it was your company we used in the end anyway! :D
  • kev25v6 wrote: »
    Have the final panel extended instead of a short cut panel, looks loads better.

The job was done 10 months ago and the short panel looks fine (and is hidden the side of our garage anyway).
  • I've just had some fencing work done a couple of days ago. Nine x 6 foot sections consisting of 8ft slotted concrete posts, 1ft high concrete gravel boards & 5ft high close board / feather edge panels. I originally got a quote of £2500 supplied & fitted from landscapers who were building a patio & walls next door, which immediately dropped to £2000 when I said no. Thinking that he was happy to overcharge me by £500 and drop his price immediately put me off altogether and the standard of work was pretty poor anyway.

A couple of months later I did another search on Google and came across an advert in Gumtree, with pictures of their work, for £90 per 6ft section all in. Seeing how I'm in North London, and the landscaper is in Watford, I thought that £810 was a pretty good price and arranged for him to come last Saturday. Three of them turned up at 9am and were gone by 1:30pm, they even took the old fence parts with them. They all had a fantastic 'can-do' attitude and the quality is top notch, I'm very pleased.
  • Hi,
    We have been working on a quote calculator down here in Aus, this will be avaiable to the UK in the next 12 months, please feel free to have a look through on how you can measure your boundry and change the style of material you might like

fencing quotes online. com. au/instant-fencing-quote

For any fencing companys, feel free to contact us at fencers @ fencing quotes online .com .au] if you would like further info
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure