MOT exempt

Comments

• ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Shoshannah wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how much work can go into maintaining a car of that age?! Trust me - no (running) car of over forty years old will be a 'banger'.

Most won't, but I can personally think of 3 mid-seventies vehicles (Capri, Cortina, VW camper) which have been parked up for years since failing their tests due to corrosion. All of them start and drive and I would be amazed if all 3 weren't back on the road as soon as they are MOT exempt with nothing more than a fresh tank of petrol, a wash and a jump start to "recommission them".
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Posts: 667 Forumite
    The fact that two are Fords speaks volumes. :rotfl:

When this is implemented, I wonder how it will happen. Presumably all vehicles over the certain age will suddenly become MOT exempt in the way you describe.

Ideally, it would apply only to vehicles whose last recorded MOT test resulted in a pass, not a fail. Far from foolproof in preventing unroadworthy old vehicles hitting the road, but it's a start.

I also think that a vehicle that has been off road (SORNd) for more than a certain period of time (three years?) should have to pass an MOT before being used again, regardless of age.

Probably won't happen that way, though.
  • The amount of pollution and road wear caused by cyclists must be huge.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jack_pott wrote: »
    The amount of pollution and road wear caused by cyclists must be huge.
    All of the CO2 breathed out by unhealthy cyclists and as for the rubber that must be laid down from all of the hard acceleration and wheel spinning - you mean ?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jack_pott wrote: »

Funny thing, that, back-of-an-envelope figures suggest that the pressure on the road surface from a typical bike tyre is actually a little higher than the pressure from a typical car tyre.

Say 90kg bike + rider, equally split between two tyres with a contact area of 28 square cm each gives 1.6kg per sq cm.

1500kg car + driver split between 4 tyres with a contact area of 310 sq cm each gives 1.2 kg per sq cm.

So, yes, per contact area, the bike will be producing higher wear ;)
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Funny thing, that, back-of-an-envelope figures suggest that the pressure on the road surface from a typical bike tyre is actually a little higher than the pressure from a typical car tyre.

Say 90kg bike + rider, equally split between two tyres with a contact area of 28 square cm each gives 1.6kg per sq cm.

1500kg car + driver split between 4 tyres with a contact area of 310 sq cm each gives 1.2 kg per sq cm.

So, yes, per contact area, the bike will be producing higher wear . it;)
    Good point !!
  • jack_pott wrote: »
    Not to mention the tons of damaged and used Lycra that probably ends up in landfill.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

That is a very dodgy argument, as I'm sure you know;)
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Car_54 wrote: »
    That is a very dodgy argument, as I'm sure you know;)

I'm sure I don't know what you mean!

If a car and a cyclist sat side by side at the lights then the figures clearly say the cyclist will sink into the tarmac before the car does! :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 11:35AM

Erm, the damage to the road is determined by the fourth power of the weight, not the pressure.

http://pedalfortcollins.com/greatest-demand-on-tax-dollars/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport