Just one thing...

Comments

• threeofus
    threeofus Posts: 106 Forumite
    Yep, you are right @silvercar I have to raise the mortgage otherwise the only other option is to agree to a sale and have to hope it raises a decent amount of money, not enough to buy anywhere else though sadly so will have to move the kids into a rented house, never being on the property ladder again wasting all of my money on paying someone elses mortgage. Let's just hope there is a huge crash in the property market after hey :-)
  • Maybe your equity from the house will be enough for a deposit for a flat out of the area
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yep, you are right @silvercar I have to raise the mortgage otherwise the only other option is to agree to a sale and have to hope it raises a decent amount of money, not enough to buy anywhere else though sadly so will have to move the kids into a rented house, never being on the property ladder again wasting all of my money on paying someone elses mortgage. Let's just hope there is a huge crash in the property market after hey :-)

Any chance that any of his family or yours could help raise the money? Trying to think out of the box here.

Also wonder if a divorce solicitor may help. A separation agreement that he only is entitled to X% of the equity may have an influence on an OR.

As I think I said before, I do have a concern that every £ you pay to reduce the arrears actually increases the equity in the property, so at least some of that £ goes to the OR. Finding out the score on whether you can raise a mortgage will let you know whether it is better you save your money for yourself and your children or use it on the current mortgage.

I know you said that the lender is keen for you to reduce the arrears before they can make a decision on whether they will allow you to increase the mortgage, but they would say that wouldn't they? The function of the arrears department is to get pay back on arrears.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • threeofus
    Had valuation and letter from the trustees solicitors - they want £91K as his share of the equity....surely this can't be right as the sales costs will be deducted from his share not mine? they can't force the innocent party to pay to sell can they? Can they force me to sell? the stress is unbearable to be honest.

I'm going to have to negotiate with them I guess, especially as they will be making children homeless I can't buy anywhere else, fingers crossed I can get the amount reduced and can borrow the money to buy him out....what a mess.
  • silvercar
    Had valuation and letter from the trustees solicitors - they want £91K as his share of the equity...

What do you think the equity is?

And how does that compare to the amount you could raise?

If you want to negotiate then you need to know that it is worth the effort. If you were hoping for 40k, then clearly it is going to be a struggle to convince the OR not to force a sale. On the other hand, if 80k is possible then it is worth the struggle.

You could also pursue the idea of the OR putting a charge on the property for a portion of his share, at least then you have some breathing space until the kids are adult.

I know I have said this before, but every pound you pay off the mortgage (arrears payments or a monthly repayment) is money you are sharing with the OR. I would find out the chances of the lender giving you the increased mortgage as speedily as you can. At least then if the answer is no you can stop paying the mortgage and save up for a move.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • threeofus
    Surely morally that's not the right thing to do - if I can afford to pay I should, got my credit score to think of and I have to pay my way otherwise I'm no better than him. I'm not paying any selling costs, or legal fees as it's not my decision to sell, so I think that only reasonable to deduct from the beneficial interest.

I've cleared the arrears now so will speak to the mortgage company early next week...my oh thinks we should stay together, he thinks as it would give us a better chance of keeping the home l - with his income, but really how could anyone stay with someone who has done this to their family, I might need him to stay on the mortgage but sign the house to me - can this be done?
  • silvercar
    You make your own moral judgments and good for you in holding your values high. It's difficult to hold onto your moral compass when swimming with the crocodiles. The only comment I would make is that the lender's arrear department may not have had the same morals when persuading you to clear arrears without promising you the mortgage in return.

If you need to move and get a new mortgage elsewhere, then the bigger deposit you have the better.

His income may help the lender agree to a larger mortgage, but his recent bankruptcy status will mean his credit rating is poor, so a joint mortgage elsewhere is less likely.

If he stayed on the mortgage and you bought out the Beneficial Interest from the OR, you effectively do own all the equity. Him signing the house to you wouldn't be possible while on the mortgage unless it was as a result of a court order. If following this route, you need to sort the mortgage out first or his income won't be considered.

So the order would be sort out a joint mortgage high enough to buy his equity off the OR, then have a separate legal document drawn up transferring the property to you. I'm not sure if you can get his name removed from the deeds while still having a joint mortgage, but it may not be necessary.

Of course, him being on your mortgage will impact on him getting his own mortgage in a few years time. So that's another moral consideration.

One more thing, if you have any joint finances, your credit rating will be affected by his bankruptcy. So sticking with a joint mortgage will effect your rating.

I don't know whether his actions make a reconciliation possible, he would need to regain the trust you placed in him. That will take time and work.

Good luck!
  • threeofus
    thanks for that helpful advice I find it all a bit overwhelming to be honest, such a lot of things to consider and really important life choices that impact me and the children. I don't think reconciliation is possible, there is a lot more to it than just bankruptcy - years of abusive behavior and it's that I can not forgive, the money issue is really the icing on the cake.
  • so got to start negotiating as mortgage company need to know exactly how much extra I will need to borrow - still less than it would cost to rent as apparently I won't get any benefits or help with housing costs because I'd have savings
  • Good luck with getting a swift resolution.

If the Trustee has written to request £91,000, they may accept around the £85,000 mark for a quick result I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure