Work holding money

benji1666
benji1666 Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi all

I have become self employed (sub-contracting) i deliver parcels for yodel via a service provider and they are making me wait 7 weeks before i get paid and i have 2 kids a mortgage and need food petrol and to pay my car tax and car insurance and i have £0 can they legally do this as all the response i have from them is all there money is tied up in fuel for the vans but everyone else is paid on the 16th of every month

please help

thanx alot

Ben

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    By everyone else, I presume you mean employees of the company.

Contracting or self employment is a different thing altogether.

I presume you raise invoices on a weekly/monthly basis. Unless you can come to some arrangement with the company you will have to put up with it.

Do everything in writing.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • i have only been there 2 weeks and they have 40 people self employed they get there money on the 16th of every month so surley i should of got 2 weeks money today?

sorry if im sounding thick im new to all this

Ben
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Youre not sounding thick at all, you need to ask them why you are not being paid the same date as them. Are you on time with your invoices.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • phead
    phead Posts: 214 Forumite
    Try asking in http://www.parcelforum.co.uk/ , they will know what normally happens.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    When I've contracted I've generally invoiced at the ned of the month, with payment terms of up to 30 days.
    So basically I could be paid 2 months in arrears.
    (The government baloney about contractors being disguised employees cleverly ignores things like that.)
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    benji1666 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have become self employed (sub-contracting) i deliver parcels for yodel via a service provider and they are making me wait 7 weeks before i get paid and i have 2 kids a mortgage and need food petrol and to pay my car tax and car insurance and i have £0 can they legally do this as all the response i have from them is all there money is tied up in fuel for the vans but everyone else is paid on the 16th of every month

please help

thanx alot

Ben

Ben

If you are truly self employed ( see adviceguide www.adviceguide.org.uk for clarification on these issues ) and they have agreed to pay you by a certain date then provided you have complied with their requirements then they appear to be in breach of this.

Assuming that you want to continue working for them then you need to set out your concerns in writing and ask for the situation to be resolved. Clearly there is a risk that they may decide not to give you any further work. Obviously they owe you the money but other than court action or persuading them to pay up it is unlikely that there is any other process you can use to get the money. Hopefully it is just a temporary blip on their part rather than an ongoing trend but only time will tell.

Another way to look at the problem is to see how you might improve your cash flow from other sources of income ( a common problem all truly self employed people face ) for example you might be eligible for working tax credit depending on what other monies you or your family have coming in. Often self employed individuals miss out on this. If you are not already getting this or help with other means tested benefits such as Housing or Council tax benefits visit your local CAB to get a benefit check. This is not the forum for detailed advice on these issues. Adviceguide will show you where your local CAB is.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    benji1666 wrote: »
    Hi all

please help

thanx alot

Ben

What were the agreed payment terms in the supply contract?

Have you invoiced your customer yet?

If the customer is late paying you, be aware that you would be entitled to add interest (8% I think) to late payments.

It may be that your customer is not late paying according to the contract. We have some customers where agreed payment terms are at the end of 3 months after the month of invoice. That means if it could be up to 5 months from when we start supply to when we actually see any money.

You need to ensure that the prices you are charging for supplying customers that are late payers (either permitted by contract or otherwise) are commercially viable for you.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    If you are not actually getting paid, is your assumption that you are self employed correct?

Maybe they see you more as a volunteer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport