Asbestos in 1930s house

Options
Hi

I'm new to this board but am looking for some advice. We bought a house we needed modernising a couple of years ago and I'm worried about possible asbestos exposure. I have read that asbestos can be present in insulation boards.

My worry is this. We were removing wall paper from one of the bedrooms and all around the bay window the paper felt damp. It appeared to be stuck directly onto what looked like chipboard. Anyway we removed the chipboard but a lot of it broke up because of how it was fixed to the wall behind the radiator. My worry is could it have contained asbestos? To us it looked like wood. I don't have any left in order to send off a sample as at the time didn't even think it could contain asbestos. I don't know if anyone would know the likelihood? Really worried about it

Thanks

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe it had a little, maybe it had none. It was likely not asbestos, but there's nothing you can do about it now, so just assume you'll be fine and move on.

Most of us have probably done similar at some point.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 January 2018 at 1:39AM
    Options
    Asbestos was until quite recently 80s/90s used extensively in building materials, small appliances, oven gloves, car brake pads, and the list goes on and on. I unknowingly used an asbestos containing hair dryer for years. In context, those who haven't been exposed to it must be very few - possibly none, I mean until 1999 in the UK it was legal to use in car brake pads and every time they braked they would shower a bit in to the street. Even if that board contained none (which is quite possible) you already have been around it at times, unless you've been living far from cars, old hair dryers, buildings, basically on the moon. Still, despite all this, we are lucky to enjoy long life spans in the UK despite so many of us living through the "lets put asbestos in everything!" era. It was a bad idea, but in context of the numbers affected and average life spans here, it appears to have been not as harmful as you might worry.

As someone who has - like everyone - been around it, I intend to keep away from it as much as possible in the future, but I'm not going to worry about the past. I have no reason to believe my exposure to it has been remarkable, despite the hair dryer and some in hindsight careless DIY many years ago stripping artex from ceilings.
  • sunny200
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I know it's stupid but I can't help worrying about it. Does anyone know whether wood I.e chipboard was ever used as an alternative to insulation board? Thanks
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chipboard isn’t an insulator, so no, not really, but than I’ve seen all sorts of things used in the wrong places.

See the thread where someone wanted to board their loft with second hand fence panels. I think he was serious.

Our 1930s house had hardboard instead of plasterboard. Walls like paper.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • sunny200
    Options
    It was brown in colour and soaking wet. We assumed it was chipboard but it could have been another type of wood. It was strange as it was just around the window and air brick. What else could it have been do you think?
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you can't stop worrying about it, then get a survey done to check. If you have still have bits of broken material you can order a pack online and you send off the sample for testing. Costs about £40.

But remember its breathing in the dust that causes problems and those who have serious effects tend to be those who have had prolonged exposure. The risk from a one-off possible exposure is surely tiny.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If it was damp, you are probably safe as it is the dust particle inhalation that causes/caused the problems.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ben84 wrote: »
    I unknowingly used an asbestos containing hair dryer for years.

You should worry, back in the 1950s my parents lived a few hundred yards downwind of here. :D
  • sunny200
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies I really do appreciate it. I'm not sure how I am going to be able to put my mind at rest as I don't have any of the material left to send off to be analysed. I wish I had realised at the time and sent off a sample.

My family were living in the house at the time of the work being carried out and went into this bedroom so I worry that my 2 year old has also been exposed.

I feel like a complete fool for not even thinking it could be an asbestos risk. I was thinking of asking our neighbour who knows the previous owner if he could find out when the board was fixed to the wall. Is it worth doing this? Would it be helpful in identifying whether it may have contained asbestos. I feel like I am clutching at straws but it is all I have got at the moment.

Could it just be insulation board? It looked fibrous and the wallpaper was applied directly on top of it. It was a bit of a botch job so I assumed they had nailed a bit of wood around the wall as it was just by the window. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Look, you just have to stop worrying. It is as simple as just deciding to think about something else. If you don’t worry, it actually can’t bother you.

If anyone was exposed to something then there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. We are all exposed to toxins and carcinogens every single day and some of us get cancer, some of us don’t.

Something horrible to could happen to any of us at any time. There’s a million things to protect your little one from and you simply cannot protect them from everything.

It most probably was chipboard if it looked like wood and was brown like wood.

I had a school teacher who used to EAT the asbestos walls of the post war prefab he lived in as a kid. He’s still going strong at 70. I believe the asbestos fibres usually take so long to cause cell deformation that most of us get old and die of something completely unrelated before it gets a chance.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure