Bed Frame advice plz? :)

Hello all :-)

Is it possible to buy a good enough double frame, preferably metal as our house has damp/mould issues, for around £200 please?

Also, which ones would you recommend?

Many thanks! :) x

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Cheap metal ones are pointless , they creak and flex

I have one in a spare room , it's bearable after using clear sealant on every single metal pole and joint to cut down on the rattle and squeaking but no way would use it for a main bed
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    At £99.99 this one is excellent: https://www.tesco.com/direct/vonhaus-double-pine-bed-4ft-6-white-wooden-pine-bed-frame-in-classic-shaker-design-with-headboard-footboard-slatted-base/462-1076.prd?skuId=462-1076

Yes, it is wood, but the finish on a modern wooden bed frame should mean that it won't be affected by mould or damp (if you're really worried, an extra coat of varnish could always be applied - get advice from your local Homebase or other DIY store on the type to buy if you aren't sure).
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    We have this one in our spare room, guests have commented that they liked it as it doesn't squeak - though I didn't enquire exactly how vigorously they tested it!

https://www.dreams.co.uk/milano-bed-frame-glossy-silver
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    That's the type I have. Give it a while to start all working loose
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »

It's also £299 - £100 more than OP wants to spend.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Browntoa wrote: »

We've had ours for about 6yrs - all fine so far - including being disassembled / reassembled in a house move
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Thank you ever so much for the advice!

I've also come across this double wooden bed on Amazon: "New Solid Wooden Pine Bed Frame with slats". Delivered from Nodax UK Ltd. (Sorry I can't post links yet)

It's got lots of good reviews & I like how low it is, as that'll be better for our middle aged cat.

Re damp issue: Would anti mould paint be another option if I was to apply that to the frame? (Not doing the outer wood as our cat will just scratch it off) as it's worked brilliantly on interior wall mould.

Thanks again! :j
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I would be more concerned on sorting out the damp/mouuld issues in the house as that can affect your health and make you very ill.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sarah1972 wrote: »
    I would be more concerned on sorting out the damp/mouuld issues in the house as that can affect your health and make you very ill.

Thank you, you're right. But our council landlord just says we need to keep the windows open being as it's probably condensation, even when it's freezing, plus we did that anyway :mad:. So the only solution atm is for us to apply anti mould paint & hot wash bedding/wipe down walls/floors regularly & hopefully that'll combat the spores.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The thing is, if you have issues with mold, by all means get a metal bed, but unless you have a metal mattress, your going to be sleeping on something which could really make you very unwell. If the mold issue is still going on and the council (who I am assuming is your landlord?) is not helping, go one step further and contact the CAB for help and advice to get the mold dealt with, they can get things sorted if your health is suffering or if small children/elderly/vulnerable people are involved.

I have a bed frame from Ikea, it is wooden and very basic but it was the cheapest they had at £75 back in 2004 and it's still going strong. As with any bed base you have to keep an eye on it and maintain it well by keeping any screws tight (checking each year) and obviously not letting small animals tear it apart....but if you were looking for a cheap bed, I can recommend them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure