Real-life MMD: Waitress takes leftovers to give to a retirement home. Should I report

Options

Comments

• wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    How did you find out she takes them to a home and that the residents look forward to receiving these "treats"?

Have you been given a reason by your bosses as to why food should not be taken? If not has anyone asked?

If you have seen her it is perfectly possible others may have done so too.

It may be worth mentioning to her that you have noticed she is removing food and that is she aware of the consequences if she is caught.
  • oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    iclayt wrote: »

(How is this a money dilemma?)

Exactly! Hardley a MMD. Each week they get dafter. More a MD (Moral Dilemma)

Health and Safety is the answer to why your bosses reached their decision.

I have paid for a couple of private functions where there has been loads of food leftover, and when I asked about taking it away, I was informed that I can't for H&S reasons.

The food is only allowed to be 'out' a certain length of time; it might get CONTAMINATED; it might get too warm, to a temperature where BACTERIA forms; it could cause FOOD POISONING; etc, and then who's to BLAME?

Although it might seem crazy to waste perfectly good food, there is a point here, especially with vulnerable, old people. Plus the fact that your colleague is THIEVING.

Should you say something? Of course you should ... to your colleague.
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2014 at 7:59AM
    Options
    Hell no.

Do you really want to be the person who dobbs in Robin Hood to the Sherrif of Nottingham? :P
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was allowed to take over the leftover food from my wedding as long as I signed a disclaimer.

Can't see why the same can't be done here....
  • naked
    naked Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would speak to your colleague about it.

If she gets caught she could get in a lot of trouble. It would be better for her to approach the bosses and explain and get their support. After all, it costs them money to throw it away (bin collection charges) so it's potentially in their interest to sort something out.

We were once told we couldn't take stuff home from functions, because it was paid for by the customers so it belonged to them not the company :(
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    This is a food hygiene issue, I used to work as a steward on the railway, 4 hours after the sandwiches were taken out of the fridge at the depot they had to be thrown away, one of the staff used to eat them when they were out of time, and he was very grateful to me when I explained to him why he shouldn't do it because, when he stopped, he got a lot less tummy aches.
  • vmvseoa
    Options
    No you should not.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    No you shouldn't report her.
    But do think what you will say if your boss asks you directly- "Did you know?"

Know what ? I have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

Personnally I think the moral question you should ask the OP is why you allow food to go in the bin, and haven't tackled the boss about getting GREAT publicity for his company, by a peice in the loacl paper about how it goes to a homeless charity.

When he sells a catering package to a happy couple he could make a point of giving them a choice of worthy causes where the leftovers go.
  • patricia50
    Options
    I think she should say nothing and mind her own business. If her colleague does get found out that is up to her. It's shameful really that food is thrown away like this but if she reports her and she loses her job what does that achieve.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    What harm is she doing to YOU by doing this? What benefit is there in reporting it? Brownie points for you? What will be the fall-out for her if you report her - instant dismissal?

Having answered those questions, now consider that you have to live with your conscience going forward, and choose your course of action accordingly.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business