PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

liver and onions - in the slow cooker??

2»

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    I don't think I'd do Lamb's Liver in the slow cooker (I usually only cook that for around 4-5mins depending on how thick it is), but it may be a good idea for Pig's or Ox Liver.
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    i do liver and bacon in the sc with a packet mix its yummy
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    It seems such a waste to me though?
    Lamb's liver takes minutes to cook so by the time you've browned it off on the top it's just about done?
    I suppose you are right but I was just trying to get liver the way we used to have it for school dinners...it was my favourite. (Strange child!):rotfl:
    I remember someone telling me that they used to put it in the oven on a very low temp for a long time, so thought that sc was worth a try. It worked but I certainly would keep testing for time, so not an all-dayer:eek:
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I cook mine with onions and bacon in the slow cooker, sometimes i add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some worcester sauce.

I always throw some into the food processor after straining off the liquid and adding melted butter. Pot it into ramekins and refridgerate or freeze.

This makes a lovely home made pate to enjoy on toast.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I always do liver and bacon in the SC I gently fry of the liver which I have dusted with flour, plus some chopped up streaky bacon first,then some onions chopped up very small and any veg that I find in the veg drawer of my fridge that looks past its best.Make a thick gloopy gravy from some powdered bisto and a crumbled up Oxo cube and pour over the top.I also sprinkle some sage and onion dry stuffing mix in with it for extra flavour,in fact any herbs or even some garlic perks it up a bit,but then I love garlic in almost anything .leave it on low for around 6-7 hours and its beautiful and melt in the mouth.As I make quite a big potful at one go I usually have one portion for dinner with mash on top and the rest I devide up into separate portions and top with creamy mash, and when cold freeze. I have always made it like this as I was the only one in my family to like liver & bacon so I can get around four extra meals from a lb of lambs liver .I'm not so keen on any other liver though, lamb is the nicest tasting.A good economical meal that I have costed out at around 60p a portion depending on the cost of the liver.Often offal is yellow-stickered in the supermarket so I grab it then.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    A way to get kids to eat it (I love it!) Is put it in a casserole dish or SC and cover it with a jar of tomato pasta sauce. The liver goes all crumbly, then serve it on spaghetti like bolognese! Mine never knew they were eating liver! :)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• stef240377
    stef240377 Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    I do my liver, onions and mushrooms in the slow cooker. I coat liver in flour and throw it all in with some beef stock and leave it on low for a few hours. This way i know its cooked through properly and is so soft it melts in the mouth. As OH has a low immune system he is not meant to eat it but cooked this way it means he can still enjoy it occassionally.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • maltesers_2
    maltesers_2 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    I cook mine with onions and bacon in the slow cooker, sometimes i add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some worcester sauce.

I always throw some into the food processor after straining off the liquid and adding melted butter. Pot it into ramekins and refridgerate or freeze.

This makes a lovely home made pate to enjoy on toast.

SD

Great idea to save a bit for pate - thanks:):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure