Car Hire July, Miami to Orlando (Disney)

Hi,

I am new to this Forum and apologise if this topic is already being talked about elsewhere, I am visiting Orlando for the first time this year and I'm flying to Miami then renting a hire car (5 people) for the duration of 16 days up to Orlando/Disney from Miami Airport.

I was just looking for peoples views and knowledge on which is potentially the best way/company to hire the car from based on their experiences, I have looked into it a little and do understand the cover required and their sly ways of toll systems in use but would just like peoples experiences and advice.

Many Thanks in Advance :j

Comments

• jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    SixT are the ones we favoured last year, they did not try to upsell insurance etc once they realised we had cover already (taken out here before we went).

Get the windscreen Sun Pass for the tolls. Makes it so much easier, few booths are manned, and you only get charged whenyou use it.

Make sure the car you get is big enough for all of you plus luggage!

Enjoy!
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • So where did you get the Sun Pass from? did you buy it when you got there? Thanks.
  • Smokinjoe18
    Smokinjoe18 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2018 at 2:09PM
    jfdi wrote: »
    SixT are the ones we favoured last year, they did not try to upsell insurance etc once they realised we had cover already (taken out here before we went).

Get the windscreen Sun Pass for the tolls. Makes it so much easier, few booths are manned, and you only get charged whenyou use it.

Make sure the car you get is big enough for all of you plus luggage!

Enjoy!

When searching quotes for Rental SixT seem to be around £100 more expensive but would rather pay that little more for less hassle. Also when searching different search sites show different amount of luggage allowed x3/x4 bags etc, was thinking about an intermediate i.e Hyundai Elantra/Toyota Corolla as they show x3/x4 bags.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've used Alamo for decades with no problems. You don't have to worry about the tolls, you're automatically enrolled in the schemes.

This page shows you how the different rental companies handle the various toll schemes: https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Another vote for Alamo.

With five people, plus luggage, can I suggest you look at the small minivans. It will be much more comfortable for you all.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A useful site for all things Florida, well mainly Disney to be accurate but there is a seperate car hire section is THE DIBB .

Alamo come highly recommended on there although it's sometimes cheaper to book through a 3rd party. Virgin Atlantic have been mentioned as a cheaper way to get an Alamo car and also the usual suspects, expedia, netflights etc.
  • Just came back from a fabulous 2 1/2 week tour of Florida. All great except the car hire. Booked through Zest ( who are usually very good ) and chose Green Motion. They are off site at. Miami International but price and feedback looked OK. On arrival we (and other customers ) were told that they had run out of cars ! They advised that it wasn't even worth coming back the next day and that we should contact Zest. This resulted in us having to get an expensive taxi to our local friends north of Miami then losing the weekend trying to sort out the mess and eventually getting a mega expensive car hire from National . We are now trying to get some kind of compensation which Zest are investigating. Be warned.
  • Just came back from a fabulous 2 1/2 week tour of Florida. All great except the car hire. Booked through Zest ( who are usually very good ) and chose Green Motion. They are off site at. Miami International but price and feedback looked OK. On arrival we (and other customers ) were told that they had run out of cars ! They advised that it wasn't even worth coming back the next day and that we should contact Zest. This resulted in us having to get an expensive taxi to our local friends north of Miami then losing the weekend trying to sort out the mess and eventually getting a mega expensive car hire from National . We are now trying to get some kind of compensation which Zest are investigating. Be warned.

That sounds like an awful experience, one i wish to avoid, especially not having anyone to go to in America. Having to run around and book another car after such a long flight and at an expensive price, I'm surprised it didn't ruin the entire tour. Thanks for the info.
  • pompeyrich wrote: »
    A useful site for all things Florida, well mainly Disney to be accurate but there is a seperate car hire section is the DIBB

Alamo come highly recommended on there although it's sometimes cheaper to book through a 3rd party. Virgin Atlantic have been mentioned as a cheaper way to get an Alamo car and also the usual suspects, expedia, netflights etc.

Thanks for the direction of the DIBB and Virgin Atlantic (where we booked our flights) never even gave them a thought, they have turned out to be the cheapest so far and with an additional driver to boot. Looking at a intermediate SUV as we have a party of 5 (3 adults 2 children), will keep checking around see what else is out there.
    Many Thanks :T
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Our last intermediate SUV was a Ford Kuga (they call it an Escape) so that gives you some idea of the size. Of course you can choose whatever you like from the parking garage.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure