It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Hey, just read your diary. We used to live in Glasgow until I was 25 then we moved to NZ. Hate it here, but I don't live in a big city. Moving back to Scotland at the end of the year.

In general your wage doesn't go as far in NZ because of expensive food, clothes, household goods, etc. But if you're ok with your money anyway and like a quieter (MUCH quieter) lifestyle then it's really lovely here. Running a car is much cheaper though! :rotfl:

I've had a few friends who moved over there actually. Difference is they love it! There are pro's and con's to living anywhere. I must say, i think the better weather would be a huge pro for me. You'll know what I'm talking about when I see we have no summer here :rotfl:
    Hope you enjoyed your weekend! Well done on planning the spendy days!

Thank you. I did indeed. I could've been super frugal and MSE and not left the house for the weekend, but that's not living. We all need to have some fun and let our hair down, particularly at our age :)
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    So my step-brothers wedding is now becoming ‘real’. We’re looking at flights, hotels and ultimately costs. Looks like the trip will cost £2,000 not including spending money, so for now the overpayment towards my debt is put on hold and I’ll just continue to meet my minimum payments. In the meantime, I’ll put a chunk of money into a savings account for this trip.

The decision to go or not has really torn me and it pains me either way. It’s lose-lose. I either go to the wedding and my debt remains or I don’t go and miss out on the wedding. The frugal amongst us will say that’s a no brainer however there’s some family politics which mean I feel obliged. Priorities have changed.

In other more positive news; I got through to the next stage with the job I applied for! Plus is turns out I know the girl in HR, so that’s another thing going in my favour. Not only is the job a step up in the career ladder, the salary is £5k higher than what I’m on. Or an extra £347 in bank after tax. Ideal!

Keep you posted 
  • endoftheostricheffect
    Options
    Oooo! Good luck!:j
    Savings: [STRIKE]1,500[/STRIKE] 3,000/ 10,000 Debt: [STRIKE]4319.78[/STRIKE] 4000/8,500:eek:
    Barclaycard- 431.31
    Natwest- 3568.69

£71/62 Pound Jar to be paid to my ISA monthly!
    'Either you run the day, or the day runs you!
    :idea:
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Yesterday was a cracker! 20 degree heat playing golf. Technically I was ‘working’ but it didn’t feel like it. I’m actually sunburnt which is hard to believe, I know. Spent £20 which unfortunately won’t be going on expenses.

I’ve been drawing up a to-do list on my phone that I’ll tackle when I can, hopefully this weekend but as ever it’ll no doubt get pushed back.

One things for sure, my spending for the engagement party will be kept tight. No disappearing to go and lift more money. What’s in my wallet is it. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.

It is 2 of my colleagues birthdays next week so we done a collection. We are a small team and we all get on so well, so my standard input was £10, regardless if it was my boss, the receptionist or the girl at the desk behind me. However, with birthdays coming thick and fast, I’ll end up spending close to £200 over a year!! So I’ve halved it to £5 for gifts going forward.

Another thing MSE has taught me is to plan ahead. This year I’ve already bought 2 things for my GF’s birthday or Xmas, so I’m always keeping my eyes peeled for sales going on (usually in Martins weekly email). If you see anything a girly girl in her mid twenties would like and it’s on sale – let me know!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    The end is near and payday is 4 days away!!

I (hope to) have enough petrol in my car to last until then – I’ll need to be extra safe to keep the MPG high. The engagement party was on Saturday and all the money I budgeted was spent. Was a good night seeing lots of friends, so it’s guilt free.

This morning on my way into work I listened to 2 very interesting podcasts;

1 – YNAB episode 220
    They guy spoke of how he has organised a huge, no expense spared, break for all of YNAB’s staff. And they managed this by saving for 18 months, so it’s guilt free! I like the sound of that and it really helped motivate me to do the same for when the wedding comes in January.

2 – Debt Free Story with Jessica Garbarino
    The woman in question here really had a story I could sympathise with. She was in £57k of debt, starting chipping away then lost her job, so had to try and find the motivation again. She went at it head first and cleared it over a couple of years but the part that really stuck with me was her describing the feeling of now waking up with no debt and a little bit saved for emergencies and how it’s changed her life. There’s a huge weight off her shoulders. Imagine?? I can’t wait to feel that way.

For those here who don’t listen to podcasts, I would recommend it. I’m a newbie to the podcast scene but I listen to it to and from work as opposed to the same old music, day in, day out. I just searched “money” or “debt” into the search bar of my podcast section. Costs nothing, so what have you got to lose.

Have a good day :)
  • Littlebirdie
    Options
    The end is near and payday is 4 days away!!

I (hope to) have enough petrol in my car to last until then – I’ll need to be extra safe to keep the MPG high. The engagement party was on Saturday and all the money I budgeted was spent. Was a good night seeing lots of friends, so it’s guilt free.

This morning on my way into work I listened to 2 very interesting podcasts;

1 – YNAB episode 220
    They guy spoke of how he has organised a huge, no expense spared, break for all of YNAB’s staff. And they managed this by saving for 18 months, so it’s guilt free! I like the sound of that and it really helped motivate me to do the same for when the wedding comes in January.

2 – Debt Free Story with Jessica Garbarino
    The woman in question here really had a story I could sympathise with. She was in £57k of debt, starting chipping away then lost her job, so had to try and find the motivation again. She went at it head first and cleared it over a couple of years but the part that really stuck with me was her describing the feeling of now waking up with no debt and a little bit saved for emergencies and how it’s changed her life. There’s a huge weight off her shoulders. Imagine?? I can’t wait to feel that way.

For those here who don’t listen to podcasts, I would recommend it. I’m a newbie to the podcast scene but I listen to it to and from work as opposed to the same old music, day in, day out. I just searched “money” or “debt” into the search bar of my podcast section. Costs nothing, so what have you got to lose.

Have a good day :)

Hey,

Great idea about the podcasts. When you said you entered words into the podcast section ...do you mean on Itunes?

To staying out of debt!
    Credit card (Nov 2018):£894.60 . Emergency fund: £2000/3000
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Hey,

Great idea about the podcasts. When you said you entered words into the podcast section ...do you mean on Itunes?

Hi there! Thanks for swinging by.

Yeah I just searched the key words of "money" and "debt". Most seems to be American but are helpful nonetheless as well as the money podcast on BBC Radio 5 Live which our very own Martin usually features on :money:
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Payday today!

Similar to last month, I’ve downloaded a statement to see a comparison in expenditure. Not as smooth as I’d like given my bank switch on the 4th. What is clear to see is that I can reduce my spending the funds dry up as was the case this month with a few one off high spends;

Petrol - £120
    Can’t be precise as one top up fell inbetween the bank switch. However, there was no huge jouneys to drink the petrol.

Debt - £412.88
    My 2 minimum payments plus a lump of £350 on my biggest debt. This was a huge part as to why I struggled to the end of the month.

Cash - £350.00
    Not a true reflection on my spend though as I bought tickets with cash and my friends transferred the money. A more realistic figure would be £220, which is a tenner less than last month.

Avoidable - £172.90
    £104 of this was to cover costs for the trip with work to Liverpool. A good month in my eyes.

On top of the above, I had £150 to pay for my TV with my last instalment this month. A tight month but I learned some valuable lessons in that I can get by and cut my cloth accordingly.

The month ahead, I’ve a stag doo in Newcastle. I could see it far enough but it’s my GF’s brother, feel obliged. Out with that I’ve no big days planned, thank goodness. When I get the time, I’ll start my membership with YNAB for $5 a month, not sure what that is in sterling.
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yesterday was a NSD as will today. Tomorrow should be too however I'll have parking to pay for my interview £8 for 2 hours!!! I'll do some searching tonight to see if I can find some free parking close by, however there is a concert on so chances are slim!

Only spent £12.60 on Saturday in getting a train into Glasgow which is good news. Determined to keep all my receipts and update YNAB to ensure that it’s always up to date and matches what's actually in my account. I think I'll do weekly catch ups to make sure that's the case.

I've a stag do this weekend in Newcastle which, as ever, I'll do on a budget as best as I can.

It's my best friends sons 2nd birthday so I'll buy him a little thing.

I've a golf trip on the 14th which is with a friends voucher so I'll buy him lunch to say thanks.

Lastly, I've a boxing dinner later in the month, which falls on payday actually. As I'm taken as a guest, I recon drinks will be covered for the night so I'll try and blag transport to and from, otherwise a taxi back at that late hour could cost £30.

That's my social calander for the month. I wanted to write them down in back and which to show where potential expenditure will come from. Outwith this I'll have petrol and groceries mow that I paid all my direct debits.

ANNNDDD... I phoned both Barclaycard and Tesco to change the date of my direct debit to the start of the month and Tesco advised me that it was no longer 0% interest. I'll change that tonight and apply for a balance transfer.
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Todays the day of my interview and presentation.

I spent all of last night practising and managed to bring the time down to 24 mins, which is still 4 mins longer than what is asked of me. I hope not to sound rushed at the time and I don’t jumble my words with the inevitable nerves.

In other MSE news. Yesterday was a NSD however today wont with paying for parking at my interview. Wednesday and Thursday will though and with a stag do this weekend I’ll spend (little) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback