MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Artie accept cash from his dodgy cousin Tony?

Comments

• Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    Tony should not accept on the grounds that in running a restaurant £500 wouldn't last a week! It would only delay the inevitable. Then he can walk away from his failed business with his head held high, never having to look over his shoulder.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Don't think I would. Who knows what I'd be profiting from him doing?
    And I never believe "no strings attached", there's a moral obligation to return the favour in his hour of need.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can we just get real here? If my business is going down the pan, if I like them and if I trust the 'no strings', of course I would accept. I just find the £500 a bit hard to believe. In business terms surely that's peanuts. But ABSOLUTELY I would take it.
    Better still would be £5,000, if they are just being mates and family. Especially if they are 'Arthur Daley type' dodgy dealers rather than underworld drug dealing mafiosos. In any case, Arthur Daley probably couldn't hold a candle to some of our (hitherto) respected and totally legal financial institutions. It's a fine line my friends....
    It's not my place to make moral judgements or assumptions if an offer is genuinely made. !!!!!! it could be £500 left to them by Great Aunt Tabitha! I certainly wouldn't feel under any legal threat by accepting a gift.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would grab it with my hands and feet!!!

It may not be dodgy money it may me part of the legitimate stash ;-)
  • terill
    terill Posts: 37
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes I would take it. Sorry, but at least I am not fibbing like some of the posts on here!
  • slow_saver
    slow_saver Posts: 384
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    :money:Take the money & run!!
    I must, I must, get my post average up to 1 a day!! :D
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Maybe take it on the understanding that he will pay it back as soon as he can.

If it was me then I think I'd borrow it for as short a time as possible and make sure I keep bank statements of recieving it AND paying it back so it shouldn't come back to bite me.

And I'd make sure that I borrowed the smallest ammount I could to keep the business afloat.
  • emmzy
    emmzy Posts: 428 Forumite
    The Sopranos Kick !!! :D
    From What I Remember ... He Takes The Money Cant Pay It Back And Ends Up Trying To Off Himself And Tony Gives Him A Pass
  • No.The expression "no strings" wouldn't mean anything to a crook, Artie would be beholden to his cousin moreover he would most likely be a receiver of ill-gotten gains.
  • englishmac
    englishmac Posts: 137 Forumite
    There isn't a question of money laundering - it is a gift, not an investment. Artie should therefore have no qualms about accepting the money with regard to where it came from. From the fact the offer has been made, he has no problem associating with these people and I doubt he would refuse a birthday card or drink ie a low value, non-cash offer. As for being beholden for the favour, only Artie can know the answer to that but again, as he is close enough to them to receive the offer, I doubt being a bit dodgy would deter him from accepting. If in doubt, don't accept.
    Cheap and cheerful. Preferably free. :T LBM - more a gradual rude awakening.
    DFD where the light is at the end of this very long tunnel - there, see it? Its getting brighter!! :o

DFW Nerd Club Member no. 946. Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport