PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yep....it wasn't an instance of "Embarrassing moments 'r us":)

That's a relief.....:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 March 2018 at 8:39PM
    Quiet day today I didn't sleep well last night with what my mum and aunts used to call 'the fidgets' (restless legs). I'm sure it's karma for laughing at my mum when she complained about it. So the Easter spring clean only got as far as the lounge/dining room and then I got sidetracked going through old paperwork I decluttered years worth of stuff with a big bag to take into work to shred. Avoidance tactics I think as the kitchen cupboards were next :eek:

Eggs on toast for lunch and vegetable stir fry for dinner, I was going to make vegetable lasagna but cba maybe tomorrow.

I forgot my sister birthday yesterday :o I'm annoyed as I went out lunch time Wednesday to buy and post a card and then forgot! I think it's my age:( so off to make a phone call now
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm sure old paperwork breeds Brambling, I feel as though I'm always decluttering it!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »

I forgot my ... I went out ... buy and post a card and then forgot! I think it's my age:( so off to make a phone call now

Easy one to get round: "I didn't phone you yesterday because I didn't want to hold you up if you were in the middle of doing something more interesting/going out etc etc .... waffle waffle .... so thought it best to phone today to find out what you did/where you went!" :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    Easy one to get round: "I didn't phone you yesterday because I didn't want to hold you up if you were in the middle of doing something more interesting/going out etc etc .... waffle waffle .... so thought it best to phone today to find out what you did/where you went!" :)

PN that's the excuse I used :rotfl:

Caronc I'm sure I've already shredded some of it once
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2018 at 7:45AM
    Paperwork does decrease after a while - so there is hope on the horizon about it.

I've had a vast pile of papers to do with one or two particular issues before now and there was loads to declutter once I only needed to keep enough for "basic file purposes".

An enormous amount got decluttered at retirement. It did build back up again somewhat from things to do with current house (eg all that research re this/that/the other).

But there did come a point where that was It/Done once and for all and only odd bits build up now (eg bank statements to check) and I've got to a stage where the bank statement just needs checking each month (living where I do now - ie more remotely and therefore shopping more online - that basically means = check Amazon purchases match between the statement and my account) and the rest of the paperwork is so minimal that I can put it in a basket and leave it to be done during "bad weather time of year".

At least my bank statements are now checked monthly - I've always taken a quick glance to make sure THE most major expense of all came out okay each month back along (ie the mortgage payments) and due income came in. But then they would pile up for months at a time before I checked them completely. I have heard of someone "coming to a LOT of grief" before now because they didn't check the mortgage was coming out okay - so I did make sure I looked for that coming out okay each month anyway.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 March 2018 at 9:31AM
    Early check in before I'm out for lunch. Bit dull but sun due later
    All the rates & insurance increases, now had letter from pension, a pay rise. I'm not going to do the sums to check if any better off or not, could be a disappointing result

The cherry blossom sounds lovely Wort, there is a large cherry opposite my house just waiting for a nice warm spell. I doubled up with my cherry blossom though, the one in my garden is also edible sweet cherry

Breakfast was porridge, with HM yoghurt & FMS

I went back on scales this morning, seems my up a bit has gone down a bit, underpants not yet falling around my ankles though

Just in case I will forego a yummy scone mid morning during walkabout coffee break, and strictly no pud, unless it is apple crumble & custard when all bets are off
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just a quick question if I may. I joined Morsbags sometime ago. http://www.morsbags.com/ and have just finished my 25th one. All given to family and friends.

Whilst shopping last week I noted that not many people actually used their own bag but bought the much hated plastic carrier bag. One man in front of me at checkout actually bought 5.

Got me wondering if people don`t like to carry a shopping bag or just forget to take them with them.

I always take my trolley and a couple of extra bags what do you do?
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March 2018 at 10:30AM
    meg72 wrote: »
    Just a quick question ... what do you do?
    I used to always have copious amounts of free plastic bags.... my life was over-run with them and everything was "in a bag round here somewhere"... I'd use/re-use those plastic bags for all sorts of things and never took my own out.

When they said you'd have to pay for them I was horrified as my life relied upon free bags on demand :)

Then somebody gifted me a bunch of food from their cupboard during a clear-out and popped it into a 40p Sainsbobs orange Bag for Life... and I fell in love with them.... I discovered 4ldi do a whole variety of different colours/designs and became "addicted" to them to start sorting out stuff around the house. I use them for holding/storing all sorts of things at home, they're a handy size to picking up and moving about.

I now always have one in my bag when I leave the house to go food shopping, folded into quarters.... but if I'm out and unexpectedly find myself in a shop then I'll only buy what I can carry to the car by hand, or shove in my shoulder bag. I'd rather "go without" than pay 5p for a disposable bag.

The trouble isn't really a planned shopping visit - the problems with carrying shopping come when you unexpectedly are buying in a shop when you didn't expect to ... or you pick up more than you thought you were in there for.

I'd not make my own, as suggested by morsbags, because that's not my lifestyle.... I don't have a sewing machine, nor sewing machine skills, nor the desire to be making bags ... when I can buy sturdy/strong/re-usable cheery ones at just 40p. They suggest you use a bedsheet or an old curtain .... my bedsheets are still being used and I don't yet have curtains for every room :) Any "old curtains" I ever have will be repurposed as curtains for a window that doesn't have a curtain.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    I didn't really enjoy the pub meal on Friday, typical. I won't bother to go there to eat again.

I'm just having a cup of tea. I'm having blueberries and strawberries, then a GF toasted roll with veggie pate.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback