PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    that hat is really cute - good find!
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Having a blank moment.

Have some wool I'd like to make something with and thought there was a way to find patterns, maybe on Ravelry, where you could put the tension in and it would come up with patters with that tension.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    yes you can do that. Go to patterns advanced and look down the left hand side. It is one of the best ever ways to find a pattern
  • lynseydee
    Thanks Kittie for helping me find a pattern.

I have found a pattern I want to knit but now have a dilemma.

The pattern calls for 3.5mm needles to do the ribbing but I only have 3.25mm or 3.75mm.

If I used one of these sizes will it matter and if not which one should I use?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would use one of each needle
  • lynseydee
    kittie wrote: »
    I would use one of each needle

So one 3.25mm and one 3.75mm so I'm using odd needles?
    Did owe £9,951.96

• [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don`t see a problem as it is only the rib. Have a little practice and see if it looks ok.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have taken to wearing some of my knitted shawls this winter, trying to keep the heating down and wanting to stop my neck and shoulders from getting cold. Not wanting the bulk of another sweater or cardi on top of a sweater (and silk vest). I think one of my favourites has to be this one. I just looped both ends through a shawl ring. Looks very nice and is warm. Shawls are one of the few items I block properly, with wires and pins

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/swallowtail-shawl
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lynseydee wrote: »
    Thanks Kittie for helping me find a pattern.

I have found a pattern I want to knit but now have a dilemma.

The pattern calls for 3.5mm needles to do the ribbing but I only have 3.25mm or 3.75mm.

If I used one of these sizes will it matter and if not which one should I use?

Whats your tension like? Normally you'd adjust your needle size depending on how your test swatch measures compared to the dimensions given in the pattern. If too small, go up a needle size, if too big then go down.

It would also depend what the item is. For example, if its a cuff or bottom band of a jumper, I'd go with the smaller size.

Tbh half a mm wont make a huge difference though - not unless you're making a fitted garment.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    forgive me barging in, but ...

I took up knitting (again) a few years ago after 'inheriting' quantities of wool, much of which I managed to re-home but could not part with the mohair and sock wool.

You can see my accomplishments in my signature, but I've just done a tensions square for the mohair cardigan mentioned there, and it's coming out too long - width is right but over 32 rows it's half an inch too long.

One friend doesn't think it will matter too much, and I'm about to try on smaller needles to see how wide that comes out - but would the rest of you worry?

It will be quite :money: if it's OK on the smaller needles, because I haven't got a set of my favourites (detachable circulars) in the right size: bought a set with a few in, but they don't go quite large enough! Although to be fair I've found a lovely bright pink pair online, reasonably inexpensive!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure