Nest Thermostat Hot Water Help

Comments

• I have just had a 3rd gen Nest thermostat installed and came across this thread when I had a similar problem with the water heating schedule apparently not working yet the water heating boost option worked fine. I eventually found that on the Nest app when you select hot water and then the little cog wheel in the top right corner you are taken to a screen with the first item labelled On/Off. This switch appeared to be in the off position so I swiped right on the switch to put it in the on position and everything started working correctly. I understand this is there when you want to switch the water heating off for a period of time but don't want to alter the original schedule. Trying to do this on the Nest Thermostat itself didn't seem quite so intuitive as I think at some stage I may have chosen the off option and then assumed (wrongly) that by setting the schedule it would automatically enable and follow the set schedule. So in summary you need to set the schedule and also set the water heating to on. I hope this might help someone with a similar issue.
  • Thanks you, that worked for me!!!128077;!!!128077;!!!128077;!!!128077;
  • New Nest Thermostat installed. Yes that fixed it for me too.

You would have thought that by setting up a Hot Water Schedule in the App that it would also give the option to make the schedule active for those that don't know about the On/Off Setting elsewhere!

Huge thanks for posting!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    All this tells me is not to bother with Nest. Is Hive any better?

The technology is supposed to serve us, not the other way round!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March 2018 at 8:13PM
    That was a blip really, client getting used to moving from having a combi to having hot water on timer. It's all fine now.

We are absolutely loving Nest now, with Nest Protect smoke/CO alarms being the best thing since sliced bread IMO, the thermostat and now outdoor cameras which are amazing. All run through one app. Access shared with as many people as you need. Video doorbell on its way too. Everything does just a little bit more than you'd expect it to. The smoke alarms test themselves (hooray!), ask if you're burning toast and act as nightlights on your way to the loo at night. Cameras have a microphone to talk to people outside and record movement so you can catch all sorts going on outside. We caught two crimes in as many weeks! :eek:

I am a disciple.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    That was a blip really, client getting used to moving from having a combi to having hot water on timer. It's all fine now.

We are absolutely loving Nest now, with Nest Protect smoke/CO alarms being the best thing since sliced bread IMO, the thermostat and now outdoor cameras which are amazing. All run through one app. Access shared with as many people as you need. Video doorbell on its way too. Everything does just a little bit more than you'd expect it to. The smoke alarms test themselves (hooray!), ask if you're burning toast and act as nightlights on your way to the loo at night. Cameras have a microphone to talk to people outside and record movement so you can catch all sorts going on outside. We caught two crimes in as many weeks! :eek:

I am a disciple.

They’ve just released a Yale door lock in America too that integrates with the doorbell, so you can open the door for people remotely.
  • romanovski
    romanovski Posts: 84 Forumite
    I had a nest thermostat (and two protects) installed at the beginning of the week. So far so good.

However, i've been trying to change the default hot water schedule, and despite being presented with a clock face that I can adjust in 1 minute intervals, i seem unable to get set any timer that is not in units of 30 minutes or beginning/ending on the hour or half hour.

Eg if i set it to come on in the morning at 0540, it defaults to 0545.

I cannot set a 20 minute or 40 minute period.. only 30 or 60.

IF i try to set it on the thermostat itself, the interface is different and it does seem you can only set 30 minute intervals beginning on the hour or half past.

This arbitrary limitation seems so pointless as to make me think it must be user error in some way.. or is the scheduler really this poor?
  • On the app, the hot water is on, the schedule is on, yet when trying to take a shower, the hot water becomes cold after about 3-4 minutes. Turn the water off, try again, it heats for about 3 minutes then cold. Try again, all cold. However, if I click on Boots, all is fine. I do not want to have to remember to click on Boost every time I want to have a shower.

I have a combi boiler, not a hot water tank, so I should have hot water on demand.
    I don't even know how to get rid of the schedule.
    Do I even need the schedule with a combi boiler?

Help please. I'm beginning to wonder if a regular thermostat would be better. Love Nest for the heating but not keen on the hot water.
    Thank you for any suggestions.
  • Doozergirl
    You don't need it for a combi boiler!
  • Doozergirl
    For the record, my clients problem genuinely was not having the hot water heated up at the right times of day after having moved from a combi. They've got into the swing of things now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure