Packaged Bank Account from the 90's

2»

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    eskbanker wrote: »
    ....which would confirm my suspicion and cast doubt on the legitimacy of claiming misselling if customers were correctly told that they'd save money by using the packaged account.

Do you happen to know what the differential would typically have been between the loan rates available to RG and non-RG customers, and what the breakeven point (for loan size) would have been for the reduced interest to offset the monthly fee?

Sorry I can't remember the terms now it was quite a while ago.

I do know for certain though that RG customers got a preferential rate on loans and overdrafts.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Now this is something I dont understand The coop bank have said to me that I wasn't mis soled this package bank account but cannot give me details of who soled this to me or what conversation took place, they said I had a normal bank account back in 1993 and then in 2001 I changed it to a privileged bank account. where I paid a fee, now they are telling me that I had an overdraft of £200.00, they said if you want a loan or a credit card you can get one by getting this account, so I did they also said that my overdraft would be better. In 24 years of being with them, my overdraft has always been 200.00 a month and every time i have put in for a loan on their web site they have said no and every time i have asked for a credit card they have said no.

I put in to reclaim this and they have blown me out and said that they sent me the terms and conditions, however they did know when I took this bank account out that I was dyslexic and I cannot see black ink on white paper and asked them to sent these out in yellow paper or lica paper they have in all these years taken not one bit of ntoiced and sent them out in the black and white, I did change them about this and they said they didn't have a record of this but then admit they knew I was dyslexic. I told them its not good sending me things in this format i cant read it.

they said that they had all the paperwork on my accounts but someone was telling me thats odd that used to work in the bank after 7 years they would not have that info, they would have your account details they can go back 5 years but anything before that, they would not have anything on how you took these out only the dates you had.

they are also telling me that the private account starting in2001 but looming on here it says these accounts have been around since the 1990's.

they said that i did this over the phone, but then i told no i am sure this was done in the branch , but if it was done over the phone then it wouldn't have been, i have short term memory problems and i would not have remembered the call.

its now gone to the ombudsman because they wont back down, but now they have said to me in a letter again in black and way that i can cancelled my account with them, or i can leave it as it is or i can get an overdraft with a 200.00 overdraft and these are the things i can do, i mean why would i have a bank account that i had to pay for for all these years? they also send me a txt of the letter they said that they sent to me back in 2001 when they said i joined this but they didn't have the actual letter and more just the text, i said you could have made that text up at any time, i said as yo seem to have all this info on my i want to see the letter you send me, they said they haven't got it.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When submitting a mis-selling claim, it's always worth making it clear and concise, explaining exactly why you contend it's mis-selling and including pertinent factual information in support of your case. This will probably sound harsh but unfortunately, if the claim was anything like as rambling and unfocused as your post, it's likely that you won't have made a strong enough argument. Did you read the MSE article or any other guidance before claiming?

However, if it's now been referred to the FOS, it's too late to change it and you'll just have to see what they say. Strictly speaking, even if they don't come down on your side, you'd still have the option of taking the bank to court if you're completely convinced of mis-selling and confident of being able to articulate this in a compelling way, but generally FOS is seen as the end of the line.

I must confess that I'm not familiar with exactly what the obligations are for organisations dealing with those who have difficulty reading specific colour combinations, but do you have someone who can help you with reading problematic correspondence (even if you feel you shouldn't have to)?
  • No I dont sorry, my mother passed away some years ago I have no one in the world to help me, thought I didn't like the fact that you referred to me as rambling, its people like you that looks like you worked in the banking business at some point ignore people with disabilities, well if you can see them ,we must not have them
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I didn't like the fact that you referred to me as rambling
    I didn't refer to you personally as rambling, I was simply pointing out that the style of what you wrote on here mixed up irrelevant stuff with the points you needed to make when making a complaint to a bank about this, so if your complaint was similar then it would be less likely to succeed.
    its people like you that looks like you worked in the banking business at some point ignore people with disabilities, well if you can see them ,we must not have them
    Your casual and lazy (and inaccurate) stereotyping looks very much like the sort of thing you're accusing others of!

Anyway, I wasn't (and am not) trying to pick a fight, I was trying to offer constructive help, but as per the previous post, it sounds like the ball is in the FOS's court, I hope it works out for you....
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    i mean why would i have a bank account that i had to pay for for all these years?

Yeah that's a good question. Why did you?

By the way you know it's not the banks fault you had this for that long without questioning it don't you?

And the colour problem you mention. Well you obviously know you suffer form this condition so you would have have many chances for someone else who can actually read things to explain the terms you were getting into but yet you failed to have done this. That's not the banks fault, you know you have that problem!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure