Cifas

Hi. I hope someone can help. I stupidly opened a catalogue account in my sons name. It went into arrears but it is now paid in full. I phoned the catalogue company and told them what I've done. They will remove the account from his credit report and place a cifas on it to show he was the victim of identity fraud. They will also place one on mine to say I admitted fraud. How will this affect him opening a student account? How long will they stay on our reports? And will my current bank find out and close my account. Any help will be gratefully received for the shamefully mess I've created. Thankyou

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    It will mean that his credit file will have a protective marker on it, meaning that accounts will be subject to greater scrutiny to avoid further fraud. However it wont disqualify him from things like Student Accounts. I'm not sure how long the protective registration lasts however.

As for you? a CIFAS marker can result in your accounts being closed, the inability to open credit accounts, bank accounts or anything that can access the CIFAS markers.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Ashamed61 wrote: »
    How will this affect him opening a student account?

It means that anything he applies for will be automatically referred and his application for anything will need to be manually reviewed by an underwriter before they make a decision to open an account / give him any credit.

How long will they stay on our reports?

For your son it will remain for 2 years. For you - 6 years.

The reason for difference in time is because your son't one is called a protective registration and yours is because you have committed fraud.

And will my current bank find out and close my account.

Yes more than likely. Also any other accounts / credit cards etc. be prepared for those to also be closed too. Having a CIFAS marker is no joke and you won't be able to apply for anything for the next 6 years. That also means you won't even be able to get a basic bank account so if your current bank does close your account and you need somewhere to pay your wages into, you will need to look at paying for one (see link below)

https://www.mycashplus.co.uk

Don't forget as well that you will also no longer be able to get car insurance so something else to bear in mind.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Thankyou. Will the bank automatically be told I have a fraud marker
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thankyou. Will the bank automatically be told I have a fraud marker
    It will likely come this/next month, as they automatically check CIFAS every X weeks on their customers. You may be best to talk to them yourself; maybe you can convince them to at least leave you a basic bank account open.

One thing it may also impact is your work, while employers don't check CIFAS on existing employees if they do - that will spell trouble for you, or if you apply to a new job which will check the registry.
  • It's a debit card account. Will it definately be closed
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    It's a debit card account. Will it definately be closed

It doesn't matter what type of bank account you have - there is a high possibility it will be closed. The majority of banks / credit card companies / other lenders receive monthly feeds from the credit reference agencies regarding how you run your account. It's how they tailor their offers to you, decide if they want to increase your credit limit etc. it's all done in the background on their systems. On that monthly feed as soon as your CIFAS marker has been placed, you'll find any company you hold an account with, will write to you to close your account.

A quick search of some threads on here about the effect of CIFAS markers below. I have read many threads on here before from posters stating that not only have they not been able to apply for any new credit, but also existing bank accounts AND credit cards they have held have also been closed. A CIFAS marker is no joke.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5647079
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4735225
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5279801
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's a debit card account. Will it definately be closed
    Call them and find out. Seriously, if you are the one letting them know about the situation rather than being chased for it is about the only advantage you can have here, so use it. If they come after you, that last window of mercy closes.
  • Ashamed61
    Ashamed61 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Will I lose my housing association house and all my utility account please
  • Ashamed61
    Ashamed61 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Someone please help
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You may want to seek your own advice from CAB or similar. I wouldn't think you would lose either of those as there is no reason for them to check on an ongoing basis. It may make a difference if you want to move either property or supplier as it would be at that points checks would be done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure