Packages are getting opened

I'm regularly ordering from USA, lately my packages are arriving opened and poorly taped back up.

This has happened in the past, but always had a HM customs note stuck on saying that this package was opened by HM customs,

But these latest packages never had any explanation at all.

Who can I ask, how can I find out who is opening my packages?

I asked parcel force and they said it wasn't them, the delivery guy had no idea either.

Are customs still required to put a notice if it was them, or has there been a change recently?
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I order regularly and have not noticed anything different about my packages.

If you believe yours are being tampered with do the ones damaged have anything in common, the same seller or mis stated item value or such like?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Original post by OP on the same subject:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5674697
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    I order regularly and have not noticed anything different about my packages.

If you believe yours are being tampered with do the ones damaged have anything in common, the same seller or mis stated item value or such like?

No from different sellers, the Americans use different tape, but these packages are getting opening and then tapped back up with different tape.

I understand if customs do open packages they are required to put a sticker on exp,aiming it
  • Lisbon
    Lisbon Posts: 415 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    'Although the Border Force can examine the contents of a package the responsibility for opening, repacking and resealing it is carried out by Royal Mail who also deliver it. Therefore if you have a complaint about delay or damage to your package you should contact the appropriate Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide Customer Service Centre.

In cases where the Border Force have damaged the contents, an acknowledgement will be provided by enclosing a letter within the package.'

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users
  • AG47
    Lisbon wrote: »
    'Although the Border Force can examine the contents of a package the responsibility for opening, repacking and resealing it is carried out by Royal Mail who also deliver it. Therefore if you have a complaint about delay or damage to your package you should contact the appropriate Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide Customer Service Centre.

In cases where the Border Force have damaged the contents, an acknowledgement will be provided by enclosing a letter within the package.'

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users

This is very helpful thank you.

I made a bit of a fuss and my last package was not molested like the others were.

I still want to get to the bottom of it, I have filed a police report and they are investigating.
  • AG47
    Another package just arrived that has been opened and molested.

The contents have been opened and messed with. Not sure yet how much is missing.

What to do now? Shall I get in to parcel force again?

There was no sticker of explanation.

I will add it to the police report
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No from different sellers, the Americans use different tape, but these packages are getting opening and then tapped back up with different tape.

This doesn't make sense; they are different sellers and yet you know what kind of tape, I assume, all Americans use?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    AG47 wrote: »
    I still want to get to the bottom of it, I have filed a police report and they are investigating.

The police will not investigate this. Its hard enough getting them to deal 'real' issues (no dis-respect to your issue, but its fairly trivial compared to for example a break in where police are too busy to send someone round)

Locally, about 3 months ago, someone was seen on CCTV trying to break into a rural building with an axe. The police were shown the CCTV but were 'too busy', even though the face of the person was so clear they were ID's immediately - 3 days later, the same person came back with the axe, and had another go at breaking in!

So I don't think you'll get an response, as I don't think a crime has been committed.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    AG47 wrote: »
    Another package just arrived that has been opened and molested.

The contents have been opened and messed with. Not sure yet how much is missing.

What to do now? Shall I get in to parcel force again?

There was no sticker of explanation.

I will add it to the police report

So lets do the basics.
    You signed for the package? Did you ask the driver about its condition?
    Do you live in flats with communal mailboxes?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    So lets do the basics.
    You signed for the package? Did you ask the driver about its condition?
    Do you live in flats with communal mailboxes?

I agree, It's obvious that the OP is being targeted for some reason which seems odd. I am also extremely surprised that the Police were in the slightest bit interested unless of course OPs issues are part of a wider scheme of harassment of some description.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure