Will new S Pension cause resentment?

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree, with 45 years and no contracting out- even the lower paid should be clear of 155/week?
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    atush wrote: »
    I agree, with 45 years and no contracting out- even the lower paid should be clear of 155/week?

That's not what Her Majesty's secret service is saying, however, it appears i have surfed several contribution rules.
    xylophone wrote: »

Between 1971 and 1975, it is likely that you accumulated some "graduated pension" (forerunner to SERPS/S2P), though this will be a tiny amount.

This is true. I have several qualifying "graduated pension" years pre 1975, however procuring that information is nigh on impossible, seemingly, (probably until retirement?) I don't think it will be a significant amount, as i was working whilst i was a student, as were most of my peers. Student loans didn't exist in those days. I seem to remember an old "grant" system, which amounted to, nothing.

http://www.ukpensioncalculator.co.uk/guide/165/graduated-pension.html

In April 1961 the government introduced the State Graduated Pension, also known as the Graduated Benefit or Graduate Retirement Benefit. This was a state scheme related to your National Insurance contributions which were in turn related to your earnings as an employee. Your National Insurance contributions were divided into ‘units’: essentially every £7.50 that a man contributed and every £9 that a woman contributed bought one unit. These units would be given a value and used to calculate entitlement to an extra benefit on retirement. The scheme was intended to top up the basic State Pension and ensure that pensioners had more to live on than this basic benefit alone. This early form of the earnings-related pension was later replaced by SERPS in April 1975 which has in turn been replaced by State Second Pension, or S2P.

Apparently you can accrue a maximum of 86 units, i think it was, and it is now £7.50 to buy one unit for both men and women. I've also been told the scheme was little used.

Between 1978 and 2002 you should have accumulated some SERPS

Yes, all fully qualifying years.

and from 2002 some S2P.

Ditto

As for the rest, you've lost me, it's all too confusing and I'm definitely not a pensions expert, but thanks for the info.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I stopped work in 2009 with 39 years of contributions. I spent the majority of my working life contracted out and have a current accrual of £135.48 so I would expected you to have more than £155.65. Have you had an on line or printed forecast ?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    I stopped work in 2009 with 39 years of contributions. I spent the majority of my working life contracted out and have a current accrual of £135.48 so I would expected you to have more than £155.65. Have you had an on line or printed forecast ?

he/she said back in post #17 that a forecast has only just been requested, it would be good of them to report back when it's received...
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • fredandwilma
    molerat wrote: »

So would i, but my online forecast says £155.65 and no more. I rang them and they said the same, although they conceded i may have some pre 1975 related pension, but i'd be surprised if it amounted to a few pounds.
    mgdavid wrote: »
    he/she said back in post #17 that a forecast has only just been requested, it would be good of them to report back when it's received...

I will do. As soon as i receive this, i shall call them again, although i didn't want the stress of worrying about my pension, I've started, so i'll finish what I've started. There's always pension credit for which I've done a hypothetical quote and i could possibly receive £75 a week from this, although it's still less than i would have thought i would receive from my SP. It's all probably hypothetical in any case.

Carpe diem
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,403 Forumite
    Did you read the link https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181237/single-tier-pension-fact-sheet.pdf
    which was aimed at the general public?

Because it was written a couple of years ago, the figures for basic state pension and new state pension are no longer correct but the principle remains the same.

So

"When single tier starts we will look at your National Insurance record and work out its value under the single-tier rules. At the same time we will work out what you may have got under the present state pension rules.

The higher of these two amounts will then become your single-tier foundation amount.

....... your foundation amount could be equal
    to, more than or less than the full single-tier pension.

You say that you were always contracted in and that you have 45 years of contributions.

Under the new rules this would entitle you to a full NSP.

Under the old rules, it would entitle you to a full BSP of £119.30 a week plus any Grad, SERPS and S2P.

If your BSP +GRAD +SERPS +S2P is equal to the full NSP then that is your starting amount.

If it is less than NSP, then your starting amount is NSP.

If it is more than full NSP ( and in your position with 45 years of Grad/SERPS/S2P one would have expected this to be the case - see the example of "Jenny" on p8 of the link ) then you get full NSP plus the extra you have accrued as a "protected payment".
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    And dont forget, as many do, that NICs arent JUST for state pensions but cover other important things as well.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    And another thing about the state pension, it's not a benefit, you've paid for it.

fj
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And another thing about the state pension, it's not a benefit, you've paid for it.

fj

No; it's a benefit - as has been explained on this forum many times previously and I suspect you know already and are just being contentious - as many recipients will not have paid for it.
    One can spend a lifetime on other benefits and then receive SP in 'retirement'.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • fredandwilma
    edited 20 October 2016 at 7:20AM
    xylophone wrote: »
    Did you read the link https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181237/single-tier-pension-fact-sheet.pdf
    which was aimed at the general public?

Yes i have, thanks.

If it is more than full NSP ( and in your position with 45 years of Grad/SERPS/S2P one would have expected this to be the case - see the example of "Jenny" on p8 of the link ) then you get full NSP plus the extra you have accrued as a "protected payment".

It's established i will receive full basic state pension under whatever rules, what is unclear, is how much i will receive as a "protected payment" and this is something only Her Majesty's Secret Service has the answer to, and at the moment they are saying it's a big fat nothing.

Looking around the forum, it seems there are a fair few "winners" from the system, but no "losers?" I wonder why? Maybe they are just not aware of it, yet? But maybe there is a smaller cache of "losers?"

I will report back when I've had a definitive reply / calculation from HMSS.

Carpe diem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills