Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Have you opened this yet?

Monday....
  • Which regular savings accounts apart from First Direct require you to pay in a certain day of the month, instead of just allowing you to pay in any day in the calendar month?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    BigBelly wrote: »
    Which regular savings accounts apart from First Direct require you to pay in a certain day of the month, instead of just allowing you to pay in any day in the calendar month?

You would have to check the T&Cs of each of them ;)

From memory, most do not require you to pay in on the same day every month. Some allow only one monthly deposit, while others allow multiple deposits, subject to a monthly maximum limit. So you really do need to check.
  • Ken68 wrote: »
    Monday....

Please report back on your efforts.
  • Ken68
    Please report back on your efforts.

WOW P.P, do you want to re-phrase that.
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 September 2014 at 11:32PM
    Hi Folks,

Here is this weekend's update:

- Progressive BS Regular e-Saver (Issue 2) entry updated to reflect it is now only available to existing members or new customers resident in Northern Ireland

- Nottingham BS Special Saver removed from post 7 due to information from post 2739 by Newly retired and the account has also disappeared from the Moneyfacts website where I found it

- Nottingham BS Special Saver (Issue 2) added to post 3 from information on the issue 1 account and posts 2747 and 2750 by Ken68 (not yet added to Moneyfacts website)

- Holmsedale BS Regular Saver (Issue 2) removed from post 4 as account closed to new applicants; I have not added issue 3 as the interest rate is only 2% without any particularly good features so it is does not meet the criteria in post 1 to be added to post 4

- Newcastle BS Big Home Saver (Issue 2) entry in post 8 updates to reflect that five of us (myself included) have been able to open an issue 2 account in addition to holding an issue 1 account

- Cheshire BS Platinum Monthly Saver (Issue 11) withdrawn; Cheshire BS are now just offering Nationwide savings accounts

- Buckinghamshire BS Simple Regular Saver (Issue 2) and Darlington BS Monthly Supersaver (Issue 2) removed from my list as in checking through the list I have realised they are not good enough to meet the criteria in post 1

- Nottingham BS Robin Hood Young Saver Account (3% variable until child's 17th birthday) withdrawn and replaced with Issue 2 that pays 3% fixed until 31st January 2016

- Barnsley BS Celebratory Children's Saver withdrawn

- Chelsea BS Celebratory Children's Saver withdrawn

- Norwich and Peterborough BS Celebratory Children's Saver withdrawn

- Yorkshire BS Celebratory Children's Saver withdrawn

BigBelly, I would point out that the Newcastle BS Big Home Saver requires deposits to be made within the account month (from anniversary of opening the account), not the calendar month. This means that if you open the account on 7th January, then the next payment has to be some time from 7th February to 6th March.

Thanks to all the people who contributed information in the posts above. If anybody hears that the Nottingham BS Wisbech account has been withdrawn then please let me know.

The next update may not be next weekend but will be within the next 1-2 weeks.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 September 2014 at 11:12PM
    - Nottingham BS Special Saver removed from post 7 due to information from post 2739 by Newly retired and the account has also disappeared from the Moneyfacts website where I found it
    If anybody hears that the Nottingham BS Wisbech account has been withdrawn then please let me know.

Nottingham BS confirmed to me when I opened issue 1 of the Special Saver that this account is the 'Wisbech' account - it was extended from Wisbech branch only to every branch.
    BigBelly, I would point out that the Newcastle BS Big Home Saver requires deposits to be made within the account month (from anniversary of opening the account), not the calendar month. This means that if you open the account on 7th January, then the next payment has to be some time from 7th February to 6th March.

Actually, in the early days of issue 1 of the Newcastle BS Big Home Saver, several people on here confirmed that the deposit limit applies to the calendar month. The interest rules (must make at least one deposit and no withdrawals) applies to the account month. So, for example, if you opened the account on 7th January, you can pay in £1250 up to the end of January and then make another payment on 1st February up to £1250. Interest will be applied on the 'monthly anniversary' of account opening (i.e. 7th February). I for one can confirm that all interest was earned and credited correctly by doing this.
  • I have found a few more changes to update - I have edited my post above to include the changes.

Ed-1, thanks for the information. Given that information, I am going to remove the Wisbech account now (and leave the Special Saver) plus I have just updated the Big Home Saver account entry with the information you have provided.

SS2
  • Ken68 wrote: »
    WOW P.P, do you want to re-phrase that.
    Sorry for any confusion .. we were talking about Notts Special Saver(2) .. were we not?
  • Ken68
    Reporting back P.P lol..
    Notts BS Issue 2 opened, no problem. Issue 1 closed to new applicants.
    Looks to be all branches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport