misleading description

I bought a table and chair set 8 years ago. The chairs were described as "Leather". However the "leather" is peeling and is a thin plastic material. The Shop that sold the chairs are saying that its PU leather and an eight year life is acceptable. I disagree and think that a quality leather should last way longer than this especially when they are dining chairs and used only at meal times.
The shop also said that had they been "Real Leather" they would have been described this way.
How would a member of the public know about a specific description (if what he said is true)
I feel I have been misled and I am considering taking action in the small claims court.
Anyone got an opinion ?

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How much did they cost?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I bought a table and chair set 8 years ago. The chairs were described as "Leather". However the "leather" is peeling and is a thin plastic material. The Shop that sold the chairs are saying that its PU leather and an eight year life is acceptable. I disagree and think that a quality leather should last way longer than this especially when they are dining chairs and used only at meal times.
    The shop also said that had they been "Real Leather" they would have been described this way.
    How would a member of the public know about a specific description (if what he said is true)
    I feel I have been misled and I am considering taking action in the small claims court.
    Anyone got an opinion ?
    Unfortunately, after seven years you will have no success in the small claims court or any other court.

In England and Wales The Limitations Act restricts such claims to six years from the date of the sale.

Things are slightly different in Scotland - are you in Scotland?
    I guess from you username, probably not. ;)
  • they cost £100 each
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    Forumite
    In short you don't stand a chance of success in a small claim. An 8 year life span on a £100 chair would be seen as entirely reasonable.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Anyone got an opinion ?
    PU Leather and Real Leather shrink with time and can peel, have you been using a leather cleaner to clean them
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    Forumite
    £100 each, 8 years use, your having a laugh.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,469
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Absoultely no chance of any remedy from the retailer or SCC here.

Breaking it down, if you used the chairs once per day, that's 3p per day per chair. So only if you used them once per day every other day, that's only 6p per day.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    also if they are PU leather then how can saying they are 'leather' be a misleading description, if they said they were 'Real Leather' and they were actually 'PU Leather' then that is a misleading description
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,859
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    PU leather is split leather hide coated in polyurethane so technically it is leather.

I would not consider it quality leather.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    also if they are PU leather then how can saying they are 'leather' be a misleading description, if they said they were 'Real Leather' and they were actually 'PU Leather' then that is a misleading description

There are actually rules on what can be called leather and what cant.

For example if its leather fibres compacted together and held with a binding agent, it cannot be described as leather and must instead be described as bonded leather fibre.

That being said, it should have been obvious that it was not real leather way before now so I doubt the OP could convince a judge to disallow a "statute barred" defence.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure