IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• Despite previously allowing appeals on Town Quay, POPLA have now refused my appeal stating that the bylaws so allow them to issue tickets!! Ouch.

Decision Unsuccessful
    Assessor Name Emily Chriscoli
    Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator’s case is that the appellant’s vehicle was parked on site without a valid payment being made.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant’s case is that the site in question fails to meet the definition of relevant land under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012). As a result, the appellant believes that the operator has failed to established keeper liability due to the Associated British Ports' Southampton Harbour Byelaws 2003.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    Before I begin my assessment of this appeal, I feel it is necessary to comment on a ground for appeal raised by the appellant. Throughout the appeal process, the appellant has maintained that the site in question – Southampton Town Quay – is governed by Byelaws. To substantiate his claim, the appellant has included a copy of the Associated British Ports' Southampton Harbour Byelaws 2003 in his appeal to POPLA. Prior to issuing this decision, I sought advice from POPLA’s Lead Adjudicator regarding this appeal. After discussing the case at length, both myself and POPLA’s Lead Adjudicator agreed with the following: PoFA 2012 only applies on relevant land. Relevant land is defined as anything except: (a) a highway maintainable at the public expense (within the meaning of section 329(1) of the Highways Act 1980); (b) a parking place which is provided or controlled by a traffic authority; (c) any land (not falling within paragraph (a) or (b)) on which the parking of a vehicle is subject to statutory control. Under (c), “subject to statutory control” is defined as: (3) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (1)(c) the parking of a vehicle on land is “subject to statutory control” if any statutory provision imposes a liability (whether criminal or civil, and whether in the form of a fee or charge or a penalty of any kind) in respect of the parking on that land of vehicles generally or of vehicles of a description that includes the vehicle in question. The Associated British Ports Southampton Harbour Byelaws 2003 defines a vehicle as: “vehicle” includes any vehicle propelled on rails, any machinery on wheels or caterpillar tracks, trailers, caravans and mobile homes and includes a hovercraft or any other amphibious vehicle; After considering this, we concluded that this definition does not include most on-road vehicles, including cars. Because of this, we concluded that the land is not subject to statutory control for the purpose of parking cars and PoFA 2012 can apply. The Southampton Harbour byelaws do not contain any section on parking. What the District Judge considered was whether Section 37, below, included parking: Obstruction or interference on the dock estate: 37. No person shall: (a) except with the permission of ABP, deposit or place on any part of the dock estate any goods or park any vehicle so as to obstruct any road, railway, building, mooring place, plant, machinery or apparatus or the access thereto; or (b) without lawful authority, use, work, move or tamper with any plant, machinery, equipment or apparatus at the dock estate. For Southampton Harbour, as the Byelaws do not include any provisions in respect of parking, the land is not under statutory control in respect of parking. The land is therefore relevant land for the purposes of PoFA 2012. In summary, while this may not necessarily be the case for all harbours, both myself and POPLA’s Lead Adjudicator agreed that on balance, Southampton Harbour is not subject to Byelaws. As a result, I will continue to assess the appeal as normal, taking into consideration the fact that the driver of the vehicle has not been identified and therefore, the operator must meet the requirements of PoFA 2012. Having reviewed the evidence provided by the operator, I am satisfied that the Notice to Keeper has complied with the requirements of PoFA 2012. Therefore, I am satisfied that the operator can transfer the liability for the unpaid parking charge to the registered keeper of the vehicle. When it comes to parking on private land, a motorist accepts the terms and conditions of the site by parking their vehicle. The terms and conditions are stipulated on the signs displayed within the car park. The operator has provided both PDF document versions and photographic evidence of the signage displayed on site. The signs state “Parking tariffs apply 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Visitors must log their full, correct vehicle registration using the terminal in reception to obtain free parking for the duration of their stay. Failure to comply with the terms & conditions will result in a parking charge of: £100”. The car park in question is monitored by Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the appellant’s vehicle entering the site at 09:28 and exiting the site at 10:02. The images captured by the ANPR cameras confirm that the appellant’s vehicle remained on site for a total of 34 minutes. The operator has provided a system print out, which confirms that the driver failed to make a valid payment on the date in question. At no point during the appeal process has the appellant advised or made reference to why the driver failed to make a payment, nor has the appellant referred to any specific circumstances from the date in question. As such, I cannot take these into consideration. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure that when they enter a car park, they have understood the terms and conditions of parking. By remaining parked on site, the driver accepted the terms and conditions. On this occasion, by failing to make a valid payment, the driver has failed to follow the terms and conditions of the signage at the site and as such, I conclude that the operator issued the Parking Charge Notice correctly.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 May 2017 at 3:54PM
    The Associated British Ports Southampton Harbour Byelaws 2003 defines a vehicle as: “vehicle” includes any vehicle propelled on rails, any machinery on wheels or caterpillar tracks, trailers, caravans and mobile homes and includes a hovercraft or any other amphibious vehicle; After considering this, we concluded that this definition does not include most on-road vehicles, including cars.
    Haven't we been through this rubbish before? And didn't John Gallagher accept that the Assessor then was totally wrong in deciding on this basis. And now he seems to be agreeing with our budding authoress of steamy renditions, that a caravan is a vehicle, but a car pulling it is not?

Right, off to find that previous thread!

EDIT TO ADD

Here we go:

It was covered on PePiPoo re Marina Car Park, Torquay. Same descriptions used as above. Have a read of the following:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=108912

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=108486&st=80&p=1237681&#entry1237681

John Gallagher confirmed in that second link that POPLA had got it wrong - exactly the same wrong decision that he seems now to be endorsing? !!!!!! is going on? Have PE put pressure on POPLA?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    "Any machinery on wheels" doesn't include a car? That really needs addressing.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 May 2017 at 8:26PM
    waamo wrote: »
    "Any machinery on wheels" doesn't include a car? That really needs addressing.

It was - by John Gallagher, POPLA Lead Adjudicator, who disagreed with his own Assessor's previous judgement that 'machinery on wheels' does not include cars. Now he's turned turtle on that, now agreeing with Ms Chriscoli (Google time!), that said machinery no longer includes cars.

Either his precedent recording systems are poor, his memory is poor, his judgement is poor, or he's been influenced by PE/BPA pressure (his paymasters after all).

Just further reduces public confidence in POPLA as a professional and impartial ADR provider - now moving closer to IAS style judgements than ever before.

I hope the OP takes this up robustly and challenges this appalling inconsistency.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Appalling inconsistency against a previous adjudication by one of POPLA's more competent assessors (whose name the MSE Forum Police saw fit to remove from this post).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71378601&postcount=2372
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This needs to get into court ASAP....I doubt a judge will agree with their interpretation....but then again...
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As reported a few weeks ago by The Engineer on their pepipoo thread, Judge Gold at Portsmouth County Court (Case Ref. C8FC9G7W) considers that a car counts as "machinery on wheels" and that parking of cars in the Port of Southampton is subject to the ABP Byelaws.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=105849
  • miser69er
    miser69er Posts: 11 Forumite
    First post so go easy on me!!

Received a PCN from APCOA for a 5 second stop at Birmingham Airport where a friend jumped into car. I have appealed using the standard blue template letter but can't seem to find any relevant or should I say new post on this matter.

Question being is the information still relevant and what chance do I have of this being rejected?

Many thanks
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The information in the Newbies thread is relevant and up to date. For advice you need to start your own thread.
  • miser69er
    miser69er Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks waamo

Will do just that when I figure out how to!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback